1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying Windows 10 Partition to a new hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by melchizedek, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melchizedek

melchizedek Thread Starter

I currently have a 1TB hard drive with a factory install of Windows 10 on my machine. What I'd like to do is copy everything from that partition over to a 250GB partition on my 3TB drive, so I can dual boot with Arch Linux.

My question is: how do I go about it? I've done a little research about cloning the partition, but a lot of the articles I've read seem to suggest that if you're cloning a 1TB source drive, then you need a 1TB destination drive, as it copies the full whack, not just the used space. So I had a look at just copying just the used space, and there was some stuff about hidden files, and having to copy the whole partition for Windows 10 to work.

My current Windows 10 install probably amounts to around 35GB, so I don't need a 1TB partition. I just want to copy the OS to a different drive and have it boot normally. Is there an easy way to do this? Any suggestions would be appreciated--suggested software (Linus or Windows), methods, etc.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  2. merlin989901

merlin989901

First Name:
    Ryan
    When you buy a new hard drive (personally a SSD) it came with software and a cable that cloned just the used space onto my new drive, it copied my recovery partition and my windows installation, along with the hidden partitions required! My old drive was a 2TB Hybrid using 60GB (Windows Installation) and 20GB (Recovery Partition) this transferred onto my new 1TB SSD using the software and cable kit that came with it!

You could source this software and cables!

Ill dig out my software disk when I get home and post what it was called! as for the cable you can pick this up anywhere ;)

3. melchizedek

Thank you, Ryan. Any information you can provide will be much appreciated :)

4. merlin989901

merlin989901

First Name:
    Ryan
    I think it was some variation of Arconis? and when cloning you shrink your windows partition so it has no free space (Disk Management) this will then clone to new drive partition regardless of the size of new partition ;) there may be tutorials on youtube, I think I used one when I did it.

5. melchizedek

I did think of shrinking the partition, but was worried it might destroy its functionality. (As sometimes happens, what with partition shrinking being potentially harmful.) Hence me wondering whether there was a safer alternative.

6. merlin989901

merlin989901

First Name:
    Ryan
    Worse case is you lose your Windows installation/Installed Programs and Data, but if you have a recovery system/partition that could be restored. However the shrinking worked for me, I got everything across (about 7 partitions) then swapped drives over and then flattened the old drive and stuck it in my NAS ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice