1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy'n'paste not working properly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by waxsteve, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. waxsteve

waxsteve Thread Starter

Hi all :)

I'm really stuck here :( Copy'n'paste won't work in any program and as that's one of the primary functions I use, it's driving me nuts! :eek: In some software, the paste function is simply blanked out while in others all I get is spaces equating to about the length of a tab. In four days, all I've managed is one period of being able to use it after a reboot, but it just doesn't last.

I've attempted to track down what's happening, I've run spyware and antivirus scans, and Googled the problem - all without success. I even tried a small utility which claims to identify this very problem. That simply reports no problem :(

Any help would be most gratefully received - at the moment, insanity beckons :D

2. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Get yourself a clipboard viewer. Now when you copy are you actually copying to the clip?

My first thought, assuming it's not malware, is that you've changed your hotkey settings so that ctrl-C is no longer copy and ctrl-V is no longer paste.

Determine where it does work and where it doesn't work and give us the examples you checked. Does it work in explorer? Does it work in notepad? etc...

3. waxsteve

waxsteve Thread Starter

I just ran the clipboard viewer and nothing appears when I copy :( It just flashes constantly in the page.

I've tried using the standard hotkeys, right clicking, and menus without success. So far, every single program has the same problem :( So that's everything from Opera and Firefox, through Paint Shop Pro and IrfanView, to Notepad! So it's easy to say where it does or doesn't work - it doesn't work anywhere :(

I should have said that I'm using Windows XP ;) This problem started Saturday night and have persisted since, with only one short break.

4. waxsteve

waxsteve Thread Starter

I've just discovered that for some reason, Opera is causing the problem :( No idea why - I've never had any problems with Opera before. I'll pursue it with them now ;) Thanks for the help Jeruvy :)

5. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Good stuff, this is why it's important to verify the problem with your programs.

Cheers,

6. waxsteve

waxsteve Thread Starter

And the penalty for overconfidence in one of your "standards" ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice