1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copyrighting MY OWN DVDs?!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by wilbert, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wilbert

wilbert Thread Starter

Hi,

As nearly all these threads are about problems ripping dvds..
    This is a bit of a backwards question but...

I do alot of editing and have recently created a dvd I am selling,
    Is there a simple way I can copyright my dvds... so other people CAN'T burn them?
    Is there a special software I can get, or can i simply enable a function on existing software?

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Will

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You already have an automatic copyright on your own material. You probably meant copy-protect though right?

The answer is not really because whatever you do the people who want to rip it are going to, no problem, and the people who respect you as the producer of that material don't need copy-protection do they? So anything you do to copy-protect that interferes with those who respect your rights not to copy and resell or share indiscriminately are going to be rightfully upset if they can't play your DVD in some situations or can't play it on certain devices they might want to play it on for thier own conveinence so you know what that's going to do right? Make more pirates, and then they might share it just because someone said not to.

Now if there were an easy means of digitally watermarking or id for originals and 100 copies with the same digial id show up in public then there's a strong case to be made because someone violated the principal of rightful purchase and use.

Until you actually get to that point though I don't think its a good practice to look at your customer antagonistically as a potential thief and that's what copy-protection does.

3. wilbert

wilbert Thread Starter

So thats a no.. ;)

Basically I'm looking to sell on a large scale on the internet, but as soon as i've sold one theres not really any barriers to entry in the market to stop everyone else doing the same and undercutting me on price with my own product!

Ahh wel...

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    There are companies that will author a CSS protected DVD and press a few hundred discs for you. CSS is the same protection used for commercial movie releases. Found this one with a Google search:

International Media Corporation

http://www.imcoptical.com/dvd_authoring.html

If you are talking about burning your own in smaller quantities, you may need to wait a bit for some new type of blank DVDs to get on the market:

Retailers and Consumers to be Able to Legally Create Copy-Protected DVDs for Playback
    http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/4309/retailers_and_consumers

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Only problem is, ask a pirate how long it takes to break CSS, woops too late, its broken.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice