1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cordless Mouse/Keyboard Battery Life Expectancy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NYCaribou, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCaribou

NYCaribou Thread Starter

I have a Logitech Cordless Mouse/Keyboard combo. I've had it for a couple of months now, I like it, but it seems that every couple of weeks I start to get constant pop-ups that the batteries for one or the other are at "critical" status. The last time, the mouse pointer suddenly stopped moving altogether until the battery was changed.

What is the average life expectancy for batteries when used in these devices? I've been picking up the lithium batteries that are supposed to last years and years. In other electronic devices, they HAVE. In this new cordless mouse and keyboard, it seems they need to be replaced every couple of WEEKS or the mouse and keyboard just stop working suddenly.

Is this normal? If I am going to be forced to buy a whole new eight pack of batteries every three months, I might as well go back to an older plain-vanilla model of mouse and keybaord with cords that plug directly in to the motherboard.

Thanks,

-NYC

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

My keyboards last months between changes. But mice vary a lot. Those that automatically turn off after an interval obviously last longer than those that don't.

The mouse I am using right now needs new batteries about every 2 days. Yes, 2 days. Lithiums may last 3 days. I have 2 of these kb/mouse sets and the other is just the same. So, I use rechargeable NiMH batteries. They last almost as long as regular batteries (and twice as long as NiCAD's). I have the charger handy and just change them as needed. You really need to do something similar or a year of batteries will cost you a fortune.

Most I have had last about a month. I wouldn't say that 2 weeks is too bad, depending how long the machine is used each day.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/714723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice