1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cordless Phone Starts PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Christofogus, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Christofogus

Christofogus Thread Starter

My question was basically just put in the subject... When I hangup my cordless phone, it turns my computer on. Is there any way to fix this? I don't want to have to shutdown every time someone calls me.

2. BillC

BillC

That's a good one. Do you mean that hanging up causes your computer to dial your ISP? Surely it will not turn the power to your tower on. What is the nature of your internet connection?

3. Christofogus

Actually, that computer doesn't have any ISP, no internet access at all. If I turn on my cordless phone and turn it off again, the tower does indeed turn on. I'm pretty sure it's not my modem, but I'm going to go disconnect it from the line and see if my phone still turns it on.

4. Christofogus

Apparently it is my modem. I disconnected it and tried using the phone to power it on, nothing happened. When I connected the phone line back in, the computer turned itself on without me even having to use the phone! Could this have something to do with small power surges? I've read of similar things before.

5. BillC

BillC

Do disconnect from your modem . Even though you do not have an ISP, your computer "sees" the modem and I bet that is what is causing this to happen.

If not, then the the solution is above my technical understanding. I, of course, would do something real basic to solve the problem; put a power switch between your box and the wall socket.

BillC :)

6. BillC

BillC

I've got to tell that I just don't know how your modem can turn on the power to a box that has the power switch off unless you had it in a hibernation configuration of some nature.

I'd say GREMLINS!

:)

7. Ash_11

Ash_11

This sounds allot like something called wake up on lan. Check your bios settings. There might be somthing there if your computer is new enough. My settings had a wake up on lan, and modem setting. I turned it off, and my computer stopped turning on everytime the phone would ring. I now have it set to turn on when I click my mouse button, very convenient

8. Christofogus

I'll check it out, thanks!

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd consider getting a 900mhz wireless, the 2.4gig one is probably tripping the wake on LAN as mentioned.

10. Christofogus

Actually, my cordless IS a 900MHz.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well... I'm not sure what's going on. :D

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

What's the make and model number of your motherboard?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice