1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

core 2 duo vs i3 i5 i7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mshabsovich, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mshabsovich

mshabsovich Thread Starter

what is new about those i3 5 and 7 chips from intel? how much better are the than the core 2 duos? any idea when these new chips will be in the macbooks?

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's a lot more to them then just cache. They have improved and increases the cache but thats just a small part.
    There is a huge diversity of processors in the entire Core i series just as there is in the Core 2 Duo/Quad family. So that means the performance various just as much, in some cases the Core 2 Duo's and Quads can outperform the i5 and i7's and i3's are easily outperformed by higher end models of of the C2D and C2Q's.

Basics: They are dual, quad, or tri-core processors and they all support HyperThreading(I think all do) which allows them to virtualize an additional 2, 4, or 6 cores to further improve multi-threaded applications. They have improved power management over the Core 2 Duo's in the same area they are meant to compete. Core i5's and i7's also have something called TurboBoost which allows some cores to be turned off when not required and the clock speed of the remaining cores to be increase - built-in or designed overclocking in a way. Also the i3's and some i5's also include the graphics processor right on the processor so the performance of the graphics is improved considerable compared to previous Intel graphics built into the motherboard and now on par with what AMD and NVidia offer in their chipsets.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice