1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Core i7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yeroled, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yeroled

yeroled Thread Starter

lightning fried my acer veriton x4620g motherboard windows 7 pro.

Thinking of building a new pc. Is my Core i7 cpu and cooler still good enough to use to build new pc. or should i go all new. I'm not a gamer but i would like something fast. I have no idea what cpu is good or not. i7 seems that it should be better than i3 or i5 ????? or maybe not??? on the i7 cpu it says (intel "R" core i7-3770 sr0pk 3.40GHZ costa rico. Is that good or cheapo?

Hope this isn't too a newbe a question. I'm a 68 yr old grampa that wouldn't want the grandkids to laugh too hard at my new pc. lol
    Thxs in advance

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The i7 3770 is fine however there are at least two problems here;
    1 You do not have much to choose from in regard to motherboards. You are going to have to go used OR pay an exorbitant price for a new board. Here is a list of what is available on newegg;
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007627 600093976 50001315
    2 Next problem; your windows lic. OEM type windows lic live and die with the original hardware. You change the board and you need a new windows lic. The exception here is if you purchase the replacement board from acer [if it is even available]

It is up to you if you want to use your old cpu however [IMO] spending money on 6yr old technology is not cost effective.

3. yeroled

yeroled Thread Starter

Thxs for the info CRJ, I appreciate it

4. yeroled

yeroled Thread Starter

Ok installed new motherboard and the fan started up, I was really excited. installed new 1tb w/d hdd reinstalled my acer backup dices. after the widows 7 was installed, i rebooted pc and i had to press F1 to go into windows. after a few trys of starting and powering down windows with the shut down button and always having to push F1 to power to windows, i then checked the bios to see that first boot was to the HDD and then when powering on PC i get an error saying not reading disk or disk is bad. Tried F1 but nothing. Tried Hdd in another pc and it works great. Now motherboard is dead like the old motherboard, I'm assuming because fan won't start up and nothing on monitor. Moved ram from 2 to 4 then 1 to 3 and get nothing. Again tryed two other PSU units older that i had laying around but nothing. I don't have another cpu to r&r I have two old Intel Pentiums but they don't fit, different a bit. Is there a Mcgiver trick to test the cpu if you're thinking it's the cpu?
    Thxs
    Neil

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice