1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

correct slot for pc cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gorper99, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gorper99

gorper99 Thread Starter

Just have a couple of questions.I am installing a card for ethernet.There are two open slots next to where the phone plus is.Does it really matter which one I use? Also on the phone modem card there is a jumper wire going from the phone modem card to another plug.Do I leave this alone or unplug.May sound like dumb questions but want to do it the correct way to start with. Also in bios,what is the correct boot sequence.THANKS

2. Akito

Akito

It shouldn't matter which open slot you use. And I would leave the modem card alone ;)

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The ethernet card should not affect the boot sequence so I wouldn't change that.

4. gorper99

gorper99 Thread Starter

I am not changing the boot sequence.I was just wondering what the sequence should actually be set at-normally.Also,puter has 64mb of ram.If I add a 128, does it matter if I put it in slot 1 or 2?

5. Akito

Akito

It shouldn't matter which slot the 128 goes into. You should be able to run both the 64 and 128 stick at the same time.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It does not really matter what the boot sequence is as long as it works for you - there is no correct sequence. The fastest would be having the Harddrive first - this way it does not look anywhere else for bootable disks/devices. But if you occasionally need to boot off a CD or Floppy(say to install windows) then that should precede the Harddrive.

Ideally, you want something in slot 1, but it does not matter what stick goes in what slot. Some boards require a stick in Slot 1.

7. gorper99

gorper99 Thread Starter

Thanks.Was just wondering about ram.Thought I read somewhere that larger one had to go in first

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/152185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice