Correctly setting jumpers for two IDE hard drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brainwave89

I have two Western Digital pata hard drives on a computer that has one IDE controller going to both hard drives. I have the black colored connector going to the master and the grey connector going to the slave.
The slave does not have an OS, it has just data.

With no pins in the master the master boots fine to XP Pro.
What combination of jumper settings will I need so that XP Pro drive boots and sees the slave drives data?

Thanks!

Which WD HDDs?

Instead of using black & gray, as colors vary from manufacturer to manufacturers, use terms, please, such as middle and far end. I will assume that the near / close end is the connector you connect to the motherboard / main printed circuit board.

Which motherboard have you?

For future reference, I suggest that you start a hardware thread in the hardware forum.
;)

Western Digital jumper settings, about 2/3 of the way down.
http://hardwarehell.com/jumpers.shtml

RF123

brainwave89

Thank you Rainforest123.

They are both WD800 (WD Caviar) 80GB hard drives.

The connector furthest from the motheboard is connecting to the master. The connector closest to the motherboard is connecting to the slave drive.

The motherboard is a KT4AV-L - Microstar Micro-star MSI.

Your right, the hardware forum would have been more appropriate.

I will look at the link. I will update this thread on my progress.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online