1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

correspondence with a muslim

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by grandpaw7, Jan 28, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I am interested in corresponding by email with a muslim living in a muslim country. If you know of any websites that might provide access to doing this, please let me know. Thanks, grandpaw

2. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

P.S. I know there are a lot of sites that provide a clearinghouse for people wanting to make contact with other people, but I swear I can't figure out what keywords to use to search for them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. grandpaw

3. fenwayrocks

fenwayrocks

Have you tried all the major search engines?

4. TechChick

TechChick

While I'm not a Muslim myself, respect for other's religion is important to me, so I feel I should point this out. It's not a "Muslim" country, it's an "Islamic" country. Islam is the religion that Muslims practice. Some might take offense at the misuse of terminology. Also, while I know this is an informal discussion forum, I believe it's also important to appropriately capitalize the words Muslim and Islam. Some Christians are offended when people spell "God" with a small "g" since it can imply a totally different meaning.

I'm sure you are very well intentioned, grandpaw7, and that's the reason I'm pointing these things out. Please don't take offense. :)

5. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Thank you, TechChick, for your input. Yes, I should capitalize as you suggested. I'm not so sure about your other suggestion since Muslim, like Catholic, is both an adjective (pertaining to the religion of Islam) and a noun (an adherent of Islam). While "Islamic country" is certainly acceptable, I prefer "Muslim country" because I mean a country peopled mostly by Muslims. I find myself disinclined to append a certain religion on a country rather than on a person. If I say "Ireland is a Catholic country", I mean it is peopled mostly by Catholics and not that it is part of the Catholic Church. And it's okay to say "Salt Lake City is a Mormon city", even though the noun Mormon means an adherent of the Church of the Latter Day Saints, since Mormon is also an adjective meaning "pertaining to the Mormons." (I'm sure you'd agree that "it's a Church of the Latter Day Saints city" is not a good idea.) I guess the real question is whether a Muslim would take offense at my usage; my guess is that he/she would not, but hopefully I'll find that out first hand.

I have found some sites with requests by Muslims in Iran and Pakistan to correspond with non-Muslims. My only problem is that I intended to correspond with someone who has been around a while, but the requests from young Muslim women do sound interesting, especially after seeing the faces of some of them on TV. Do you suppose they are anything like the Japanese girls I met during the Korean war? Okay, grandpaw, snap out of it.

grandpaw

6. deuce

deuce

But it's not politically correct... TechChick is right... correct terminology is "Islamic Country". Sorry to intrude, but I thought my opinion could be helpful. That's fine with me if you "prefer" to say it your way... but if I were a Muslim and you refered to me as being from "Muslim Country" I would be offended. I live near Native American reservations... saying "Muslim Country" would be like saying the Native Americans live in "Indian Country". Or that people who are from North Sioux City are from "Gateway Country"... :rolleyes: ;)

7. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Glad to have your input, deuce_mn. If you'll go to Google and enter the term "Muslim country", you'll see many pages of sites that use the term "Muslim country", most of them being sites maintained by Muslims. There is one, for example, called Muslim Family, that has a button entitled "Muslim Country". When I opened it up, I saw "Muslim Country Of The Month AFGHANISTAN".

There are a number of Muslims living in my apartment complex. I asked three of them if they objected to the use of the term "Muslim country". All said "no", one adding "of course not", and one adding "why would we?".

There are still people, especially in the southwest, who will tell you not to refer to a Mexican as a Mexican because it is not polite (i.e., politically correct). That is because over history, especially in the southwest, the word Mexican was so often used in a derogatory manner. But the people in Mexico, based on my own experience and my own reading, generally want to be referred to as Mexican rather than, say, Spanish American or Latin. Some, usually particularly patriotic Mexicans, get upset if you refer to them by some supposed euphemism. They are insulted if you refer to them by a "nicer" name which implies that being a Mexican is a bad thing.

Muslim Family is at www.angelfire.com/ab3/muslimfamily/muslimfamily.htm (or if that doesn't work, enter "Muslim Family" in Google). It is a very interesting and informative site. I was somewhat taken back by the multiplicity of matrimonial sites it lists for those Muslims wanting to get married and advertising for a mate. (While it is easy to misjudge a person who is just learning English from the way the person says things, it is also entertaining, especially if she is good looking.) It is interesting, and also entertaining, to read the entries, to see how differently different cultures approach matters. There are plentiful websites in the U.S. for meeting people for romance, but you don't see too many entries in which the person says I want to meet someone to marry; about the closest we come is "long term relationship". While I naturally prefer the American way, it has not been all that successful. Perhaps one of the hardest things in the world is to think outside the box we have been raised in.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do"; but it's best to find out what they do from a Roman rather than a non-Roman.

I agree that we need to learn to respect other religions. But in order to have authentic respect, we have to learn something about them, from them.

8. Mafud

Mafud

You're parsing minutiae Grandpaw.
    "Islam" and "Muslim" are ~always~ capitalized.

And you most certainly would ~not~ appreciate a Muslim making off-color or snide comments about Christian females in the same manner you talked about Muslim females... or would you?

9. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Mafud, you need to read more carefully. I agreed with TechChick that the word Muslim should be capitalized, and, since you read my further remarks, you should have noticed that I did capitalize. The question was whether or not it is offensive to Muslims to refer to a "Muslim country" rather than an "Islamic country".

No, I would not like for someone to make off-color or snide remarks about Christian females, not because they are Christian but because of the high regard I have for females. And, of course, I did not make any such remarks about Muslim women. Since when is it an off-color or snide remark to note that I have seen photos of lovely Muslim women on TV, and to note the fact that I am attraced to lovely women? I doubt that Muslim women would take offense at being considered lovely. And I bet that most Muslim men would take pride in the fact of lovely Muslim women. I'd be interested in your definition of "off color" and "snide".

Perhaps you somehow extend the definition of those words to include my comment about the matrimonial sites. The reason I say that learning about the different ways different cultures approach different aspects of life is interesting and entertaining is because it is interesting and entertaining. There is no offense to any reasonable person in saying that truth.

What I think is objectionable is to criticize someone's remarks as being something they are clearly not.

10. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

11. eggplant43

12. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Bruce, thank you for the references. The second one, about penpals, is the kind that interests me. The first contains a number of "discussion rooms", but these are so often better described as "cussing rooms" because of the bombast and vitriol so often present on both sides. I have the sources I was looking for; now, I need to pursue them. grandpaw

13. Dark Star

Dark Star

grandpaw7,

Well said..........once again.

Sheeeesh not sure what it is?:confused: I have no problems understanding you, none at all.
    I fail to see why it is some people just feel a need to enter into a piss*ng match.
    Your intent is clear to me, do not let these bumps along the way discourage you.

btw, how is this coming along?

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59571&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

regards,
    DS

14. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I appreciate your comments, Dark Star. Well, the lady in Zaire was not able to get a visa, so things are on hold until she is able. But I had an educational and interesting, if frustrating, experience in trying to learn more about immigration and especially in trying, unsuccessfully, to get in touch with someone at the U.S. Embassy in Zaire. They don't respond to emails, faxes, or phone calls, either from me or from some of their cohorts in Washington who were nice enough to try to help me out. grandpaw

15. eggplant43

I'll bet they'd respond to an inquiry from your State Congressional Representative, afterall, they work for us!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice