1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt access database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by eskavon, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eskavon

eskavon Thread Starter

Hi, I'm having problems opening my access database - I've an awful feeling its corrupt. I get this message when I try ot open it ...
    Unrecognized database format and it lists the file path. The file is in .mdb format so I'm confused as to why it won't open. I need this file to be accessible as its got 2 weeks worth of data on it - both of my backups are corrupt too :eek:
    Any ideas ...

2. cristobal03

cristobal03

Hey there, welcome to TSG.

One thing you may want to do is try to import the contents of the potentially corrupt database into a new, blank database file using File-->Get External Data-->Import...; if you're lucky only the modules (including forms) will be broken but the data will be intact.

If that doesn't work, you could try using the (undocumented?) decompile switch. I don't know much about it, but if your database is already corrupt it can't hurt anything. I'd certainly try the import first.

Let us know how it goes.

chris.

3. eskavon

eskavon Thread Starter

Hi Chris
    Thanks for the welcome and advice I've tried the import and it still says unrecognized format. I'll look into this 'decompile' thing - I've never heard of it before.
    Thanks again
    Eskavon

4. cristobal03

cristobal03

Before you try anything, let me do some research.

Also, that error isn't usually associated with a corrupt database.

Are you sure it isn't a version issue?

chris.

5. cristobal03

cristobal03

[bump]

Okay. First make a copy of the file and put it somewhere safe, so you won't confuse it with the copy you try to decompile.

Then, open a command prompt and type the path to the file (in quotes, probably) followed by the /decompile switch. Example:

"C:\My Documents\Databases\corrupted file.mdb" /decompile
    If it works, the file will open (or you may have to open it yourself). Press Alt + F11 to open the VBA Editor window, then from the menu bar select Debug-->Compile projectname. Close the VBA Editor and perform a compact/repair on the database.

chris.

6. eskavon

eskavon Thread Starter

I've followed your instructions and it still comes up with the same message. It can't be a version issue as I created the file in the same programme on the same computer (we're not networked here). Thinking back I've a feeling that it may have happened when I was backing up my data - I did have this file open so had to go and close it so that the backup could proceed. I guess that'll be why both copies are unaccessible.

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

As for the version thing - has anyone else taken the file and opened it on any other computer before you got this problem? If it has been opened in a newer version of Access and saved to that type (e.g. you have a '97 file and it is opened on 2003 and saved as a 2003 file) you won't see anything different but that is the message you will get when you try to open it.
    If that is what it is, you can open it using the newer software.

8. eskavon

eskavon Thread Starter

Hi there,
    No-one has opened this file elsewhere as its only on my pc and we're not networked but thanks for your note. It's still a mystery to me and very bad news as it has our entire company staff profile on it and has taken two weeks to build.

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

10. eskavon

eskavon Thread Starter

Thanks that was really useful - have tried all his tips but still to no avail - think i'm gonna have to get a professional involved.

11. cristobal03

cristobal03

I would say if decompiling didn't do the trick, and if you can't import the objects into another Access database, it's probably corrupt beyond repair. But hopefully if you get a consultant he or she can give you good news.

By the way, most of us who post are professionals ;)

Good luck (y)

chris.

12. slurpee55

slurpee55

Cristobal, given all the time we spend on here, what profession are we in?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/477194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice