1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Corrupt Administrator User Account

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sue4635, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sue4635

sue4635 Thread Starter

My Windows 7 SP1 PC was running very slow so I tried running a Mcafee scan. Got error: "McAfee proxy service failed to start due to error: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file."
    Went back to a restore point from a few weeks earlier. After that, whenever I booted the PC it kept booting to a temporary profile. Went to safe mode, uninstalled Mcafee and installed Avast (wasn't going to renew Mcafee anyway). The when booted PC I got the square to "choose account" and whenever I chose my "Roger" account I was immediately logged off.
    Back in Safe mode I created another administrator account named "Sue." I can now successfully use the "Sue" account to access all of the files owned by "Roger" and I appear to not be having any problem using "Sue."
    BOTTOM LINE QUESTION: Can I continue using the "Sue" account and not bother fixing the "Roger" account? That is what I would like to do. I don't like messing with the registry.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The way forward now is to copy your data to the user account named Sue and then when you are sure you have all copied and access to all is OK and not only your pics, docs, music but also any stored bookmarks, contacts, favourites etc and depending on what email you are using anything stored in your user account in respect of that and then delete the Roger account

HOWEVER the 1000$ question is why your original account profile was corrupted and you were logged on with a temp profile and that cause must if possible be established, as of course it may if not so determined happen again and in view of the events of the post prior to this account problem from the RP, there is certainly something not right

My advice at this stage is to ensure everything you need by way of personal data is backed up to your external drive or if you do not have such to flash pen and then to another computer.

When you reply we will continue with troubleshooting
    Here is how to deal with the account issue
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

ONLY copy as indicated personal data NOT the user account folder as that will copy aspects that will then cause severe problems

I CANNOT stress enough the need to copy your personal data NOT only to the new account but to some backup medium

3. sue4635

sue4635 Thread Starter

Thank you for your helpful advice, MacboatMaster. I will proceed to create good backups and follow the procedure in the Microsoft article that you provided the link for. Question: In your post your said "this account problem from the RP". What is "RP"?

Here is some more background information:
    The Mcaffe proxy service error I mentioned was error 7000 in the Event Log. The complete message said: The McAfee proxy Service service failed to start due to the following error: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or there might be malicious software from an unknown source.

After I went back to a restore point and the PC was booting to a temporary profile I tried to undo going back to the restore point but was unable to do so (don't remember the specific problem I had).

After installing Avast, I ran a "Full System Scan". Result: "THREAT DETECTED!" , and it showed 2 bad files on the user drive D (not the OS drive C). They both had the extension .js with the info:
    Severity: HIGH
    Threat: Other: Malware-gen [Trj]
    I chose "move the files to chest" because I could not delete them.
    Avast then recommended that I run a boot time scan, which I did. Result:
    A zip file in TempInternet folder is corrupt.
    Number of searched folders: 34823
    Number of tested files: 1,495,572
    Number of infected files: 0
    (I deleted the corrupt zip file.)

I also installed Malwarebytes. A Malwarebytes scan found no problems.

Again, a big THANK YOU!

Sue

4. Macboatmaster

Sorry - my mistake should have been more fully descriptive
    This account problem from the restore point - RP

Send the results of this please as a copy and paste of the info in the white box
    http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

In respect of the report
    could be that your McAfee was NOT up to date or other causes as indicated

HOW did you uninstall McAfee only from programs and features or did you run the uninstaller
    IF only from programs and features
    RUN THIS
    https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview;jsessionid=ML161M3s2CKziQt7yygSC7Kcv1czumKX_X-atg3G04xhpjQTFzww!1139496553!381245220?articleId=TS101331&_afrLoop=2032508114363469#[email protected]@?_afrLoop=2032508114363469&articleId=TS101331&centerWidth=100%25&leftWidth=0%25&rightWidth=0%25&showFooter=false&showHeader=false&_adf.ctrl-state=5wmfy6o6w_4

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  5. sue4635

sue4635 Thread Starter

Wow, thank you for the quick response. I don't remember how I uninstalled Mcafee but I think I had trouble using "Add or Remove Programs."
    I will use the link you suggested.

6. sue4635

sue4635 Thread Starter

I downloaded and ran the MCPR.exe program to completely remove McAfee.

Here is the output you requested:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3071 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5450, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1658 GB (1130 GB Free); D: 1658 GB (1130 GB Free); E: 203 GB (175 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5LD2
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

NOTE: The information shown for hard drive C is not correct. Here is the info:
    C: Total 232GB, 190GB free
    Drive C is a solid-state disk intended for the OS only. User files are on D:

7. Macboatmaster

Send me a screenshot please of disk management
    start menu
    right click computer
    click manage
    left pane click disk management
    when that windows loads
    press print screen key on keyboard
    open paint and click paste
    the image will appear
    click select
    drag mouse around actual disk management window
    click copy
    click file
    click new
    on the window that opens click do not save
    now click paste again
    the selected image will appear
    now click file and save as
    save to desktop
    on reply click upload a file button and attach image as this
    Untitled.png
    so that I can see the whole of the upper and lower panes

8. sue4635

sue4635 Thread Starter

I copied all the files under users\Roger to user\Sue. But the appData folder was not copied. Is that ok?

Here is my disk mgt display: Thank you. diskmgt.png

9. Macboatmaster

The image shown appears to confirm as indeed you said that all is still OK with the drive and lettering allocation
    I am a little lost as to why I system info utility did not see C drive as it is shown here on disk0

In respect of the application data - KEEP the old profile for NOW
    Please confirm when copying that this is HOW you tried it
    Test the new profile please to see what if anything is not working
    The application data will to some extent be created as you use the system on the new user account

However you may find that you receive error messages from some apps (programs) that there is a problem as such a file cannot be found
    If so when you post back I will further advise you

RETURN file options to Do not show hidden and HIDE protected
    Running with them showing is inadvisable.

Re Malwarebytes - the free trial or you have bought it?

10. sue4635

sue4635 Thread Starter

I already had the Roger (bad) user and the Sue (good) user. For the copy operation I created another admin user "Xfer files user" and logged into that account to copy user\Roger files to user\Sue folder.

Tomorrow I will use the Sue account and practice launching applications.

Both Malwarebytes and Avast are the free versions. In the next week or so I plan to remove McAfee from my Windows 10 laptop and buy Avast for both computers.

11. Macboatmaster

My advice is not to do so on windows 10
    I do not have time to post detail now but here is why from a previous topic I worked on

Please note the opinion expressed is mine alone and does not apply specifically to Avast

12. sue4635

sue4635 Thread Starter

Don't worry about having to respond so quickly. So far I have been amazed at how quickly l get answers from you! I was dragging my feet about posting in the first place.

13. sue4635

sue4635 Thread Starter

Today I logged onto the Sue account and used several applications without a problem. Later I saw that the AppData folder was created under the users\Sue folder.

I read your post about antivirus software on Windows 10. Are you saying that in Windows 10 I have an adequate antivirus program in Defender? And the only other software I need to protect my computer is the free Malwarebytes? That's pretty good news. Now I just need to get my CD/DVD drive fixed on that computer (I have another thread about that problem).

I hope you think it's alright to use Avast on my Windows 7 computer. That's what I was using before I tried McAfee and I was happy with it.

14. Macboatmaster

Windows 7 is not as susceptible to the apparent problems arising from running third party applications including AV programs as 1o is.
    10 has a unique file system and a new way of storing data on the drive
    Aspects of how 10 works are stored in locations different to those on previous OS
    If for instance you use a third party defrag tool on 10 it can actually result in greater fragmentation than before it was run
    It can also move data so that it is not then where windows 10 expects it to be.

So in summary IMHO keep with Defender on 10 and as you wish on 7 and stay away from any third party tools that in any respect manage your system.

When you are sure all is OK delete that corrupted profile and its attendant files
    You do that in control panel user accounts

15. Macboatmaster

Re my previous post
    Another member of the site has queried the above by personal message to me.

For the sake of clarification for anyone else reading the topic, the basic file system of 10 is still NTFS - New Technology File System.
    The introduced ReFS - Resilient File System
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/refs/refs-overview
    is not used on Windows 10 by default.

I apologise if my post has conveyed the wrong impression. - the key words are
    without entering into a full technical explanation on this topic, which would, I think be inappropriate - certain data is stored differently on 10 to where it was on 7 and possibly on 8 - although I have not been able to confirm the latter.

This is partly the reason for some third party defraggers causing problems on 10 where as part of the defrag data is moved to consolidate free space and the system then cannot find that data, usually but not always resulting in problems with Store apps, Windows updates themselves and Defender scans - taking a long time to complete.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice