1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt downloaded software

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Maureenath, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maureenath

Maureenath Thread Starter

In connection with a program I was advised to download 'Free Ad Software 'to my Windows 98 SE. After a few problems which I thought were due to the program, I uninstalled Free Ad Software but immediately afterwards a small window came up saying: Unhandled Exception - Error no_Ox80070725. Description - Incompatible version of the RPC stub.
    Set up will now terminate. This came up several times and then disappeared but instead when I tried to make links to webpages A page with a blank address panel came up, I could progress only if I filled in the URL address manually. Then when I opened my Email, The task bar became filled with 'blank microsoft' open windows. I then found out that 'RPCstub' indicated that there was some Microsoft 2000 installed on my computer. I downloaded a microsoft rescue program which then informed me that there was no trace of Microsoft 2000. Each time I start up a notice comes up telling me that the program has performed an illegal operation and to contact again, Microsoft. Ive used the System information report tool but there has been no result.

2. rugrat

rugrat

This is from the installshield site, http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q105810
    It may help.

You Are Using Windows 98 or 95

On Windows 98 and 95, this error may be caused by a bad version of oleaut32.dll. To correct this problem, follow these directions to remove the old file and reinstall it.

Warning: This resolution requires you to modify your System folder. Modifications to the Windows system, if not done correctly, can cause serious problems to your system.

1. Download to your Desktop, but do not run, the Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) file appropriate for your system. For more information on DCOM see the Additional Information section.

* Windows 98: dcom98.exe
    * Windows 95: dcom95.exe

2. Select Start > Shutdown.

3. Select Restart in MS-DOS mode.

4. At the command prompt c:\WINDOWS, enter the following commands on separate lines as shown. Windows automatically restarts.

CD c:\windows\system
    rename oleaut32.dll oleaut32.old
    exit
    5. Ignore the error message: "A required .DLL file, C:\windows\system\oleaut32.dll, was not found." This error message appears because the file was renamed in step 4.

6. Log in as you normally would.

7. Double-click the file you downloaded to your Desktop in step 1. Click Yes to the dialog that opens. The dcom.exe file installs a New oleaut32.dll file.

8. After DCOM has been installed, select Start > Restart.

If your computer fails to function properly after following the above instructions, you can restore your original oleaut32.dll file by doing the following:

1. Select Start > Shutdown.

2. Select Restart in MS-DOS mode.

3. At the command prompt c:\WINDOWS, enter the following commands on separate lines as shown. This restores the old oleaut32.dll file.

CD c:\windows\system
    rename oleaut32.old oleaut32.dll
    exit
    4. Windows automatically restarts. If it does not, select Start > Restart.

Good Luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice