1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

corrupt file/virus?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by babatank1, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babatank1

babatank1 Thread Starter

I booted up and after the windows splash screen I got a message headed "Pwr~32". The message was 10048 API on "bin". That was it. There was an OK button so I clicked on it, but the message kept returning no matter how many times I did it.
    When I rebooted, this message came up and was followed by another a few seconds later until my screen began to fill up.
    I rebooted in safe mode and windows did start without the annoying little message, but I couldn't access the internet.
    I looked for a file or directory containing API or "bin" but really didn't know what I was looking for.
    I got a DOS prompt and some floppies to pull off whatever info I thought I should try to save and did a FORMAT c:. I then reinstalled windows and haven't seen the pesky little message, but I wonder if it's hiding in there somewhere?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

did you do a complete f/disk & reformat?
    If not , I think you should scan to make sure .

My advice is go to housecalls & run the free online virus scanner.
    Click here to do so!

for a free virus scanner you can add to your system... go get AVG. Click here to download AVG

and to protect yourself from hackers etc... Get Zone Alarm
    Click here the free version is fine

then there is spyware ... go get Ad-Aware
    Click here to download it

this should keep you in pretty good shape

Savvy :)

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know what pwr~32 was but it was probably overkill to do a format to get rid of it.

Familiarize yourself with the techniques of "clean boot" troubleshooting using msconfig and the next time something like that pops up you will probably be able to isolate and disable or remove it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q188867

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice