1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt File

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Kermit4568, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kermit4568

Kermit4568 Thread Starter

I have been trying to help a friend with problems running defrag and scan disk using Windows Me. We have that pretty well straightened out and then he sent me an e-mail about a corrupt Windows system file reported on his computer.

This is the file and location he sent C:\Windows\System\ASR32312.DLL

Any ideas on how to deal with this corrupt file. I did a search of my system windows files and this file is not on my computer.

Thanks, Kermit

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Assuming that's the correct spelling it looks like an orphan. Can't find out anything about it. You could check it's properties>version info (right click>properties) and see if there is any copyright info.

But it looks like it might have come with a trojan or some other illegitimate application. Has a full updated antivirus scan been done?

How does he know it's "corrupt"?

You could try renaming the file prior to deletion just to see if any program complains about it's being missing. You may have to do this in DOS if Windows won't let you delete it.

Just a long shot, but would he have software for something like this installed?

http://www.lanset.com/shansen/frameasrx.htm

3. Kermit4568

Kermit4568 Thread Starter

Thanks Rollin Rog for your speedy reply. My friend has just been put on overtime so it may take me a few days to get all the information and report back. He lives in another state so I can't look at his system personally.

He discovered the corrupt file while he was trying to install new program and it flashed on his screen.

He is running Norton's Anti Virus and has done a complete scan and he keeps his updates current.

Will do the things you suggested. I know he has downloaded some music files in the past so the information you found on ASR looks like a very promising lead. I'll report back when I get the word from my friend.

Thanks again Rollin Rog,

Kermit

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice