1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt files on CF cards

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by PaulD299, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PaulD299

PaulD299 Thread Starter

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem we're having at work. One of our photographers keeps losing the first photo on her CF card. When I put the card into a reader Windows asks if I'd like to repair the file system. I always say no and then use some software to recover the image but it keeps happening. It's happened twice this week already!

She's shooting with a Canon 50D and SanDisk Ultra 4GB cards. It's not the card itself that has a problem because every time it's happened I've pulled the offending card out of service.

Could it be the card reader that's somehow corrupting the image and the card? Is it her camera? She formats her cards every time she starts a new project and it's always just the first photo on the card that becomes corrupt. But, recovery of the first image is generally sucessful using SanDisk Rescue Pro.

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Are you extracting the pics manually ... via My Computer ???
    Or is a Cannon Program (or other) trying to extract the pics ???

3. PaulD299

PaulD299 Thread Starter

It's actually an in house program that verifies the photos and hashes them. Then it places them onto a server. Nobody else is having a problem (out of 9 people) but that doesn't mean that the software might not be at fault. That hadn't occurred to me.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    If you can get them manually ... Then so could SanDisk Rescue Pro
    I'm suspecting Camera software (or other).
    I always get mine manually and never load any camera browsing/organizing software.

5. PaulD299

PaulD299 Thread Starter

I'll have to get our developers looking at that. We have to use the software because I work in Forensics and there are chain of custody issues that need to be dealt with.

I gave her a new card reader to try to troubleshoot that side of it. I hope it's not the software but I'm afraid you might be right...

Thanks for your help!

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Now I'm wondering ...1 of 9 cameras (firmware) .... or HDDs (computers)
    From a past experience with pics, one of my first thoughts nowadays is a bad HDD sector ???

7. PaulD299

PaulD299 Thread Starter

I need to check her firmware. I thought I had everyone updated but I'm not positive. Also, I'll run a scan on her HDD and see if that turns anything up.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    If it's 1 of 9 computers ... I'd also think about reloading software.

9. PaulD299

PaulD299 Thread Starter

Good idea. I went ahead and re flashed her firmware. It was up to date but maybe it got corrupted. She has a new card reader and I'll get the developers to reinstall the software. Shotgun approach!

It's a weird deal because we all have identical camera and computer equipment. The only thing she had that was different was the card reader. Hopefully one of these changes will solve the problem.

Thanks for all your help!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice