1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt Files

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jnjock, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jnjock

jnjock Thread Starter

After laptop was badly damaged by a virus or similar I was unable to use recovery discs. I had the DVD writer/re-writer replaced and although it now recognises blank and burned discs I am still unable to re-install Windows Home Premium 32 bit, using recovery discs. Every time I use the partition instead I have used the system file check with scannow and it reveals corrupted files which it can't repair. Laptop is a Sony vaio, model VGN-NR32S. Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated as the frustration is getting the better of me.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you saying that the recovery disks don't boot?

How and from where are you using "scannow"?

Since it is nigh unto impossible for Vista and 7 to have "corrupt files", something else must be going on. The files that Vista uses and that you see in the Windows folder are really hard links to the files that are also located at other locations. In order for one of those files to become "corrupt", all the hard links would need to be altered simultaneously, something about as likely as winning the lottery (unless the hard drive were failing).

Test your RAM and hard drive. RAM first since no other test is right if RAM is bad, and then check your hard drive maker's site for a drive test.

Memory Testing (including bootable CD's and floppies):

Memtest86
    MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

============================================

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

3. jnjock

jnjock Thread Starter

Thank you Elvandil, I put the 1st recovery disc in cd drawer then turn pc off and then back on, it boots up as normal instead of going into re-install mode. It used to do this without any problems. As for 'scannow' I type in cmd in programs window then right click and run as administrator. In the window that opens-the momochrome one- I then type fsc\ scannow and press enter. ie: C:\Windows\System32>fsc\scannow then enter. Meanwhile I'll follow your advice on the procedures you have given and will post the results here. Thank you again for your help.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the CD scratched or dirty?

You may need to go into BIOS setup at boot time and set the CD-ROM to a higher priority so that the machine tries to boot from CD before it tries that hard drive.

5. jnjock

jnjock Thread Starter

Tested memory and HDD with both installed Sony software that came with pc and software that I downloaded. No errors or faults anywhere in pc. Also changed the boot priority as you described with the problem still there as regarding recovery discs. I also inserted recovery disc 1 in cd drawer and clicked on computer then Drive F, this informed me that my recovery disc was blank-this is why the DVD/CD writer/re-writer was replaced- I'm sure the recovery discs are ok but can't be certain until I can check them out on another USB connected DVD drive. But I still think you were correct in saying something else is going on or going wrong. There is no point in contacting Sony, their silence last time was deafening and they are way too expensive. If you have any other ideas how to solve this I'd be extremely greatfull.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are there any problems visible in Device Manager?

Can you check those recovery disks with another drive or computer to be sure they are all right?

How did you make the recovery disks? Are you sure they were made bootable?

There is probably another way to try to boot the DVD, too. If you know how to get a boot menu, you can then choose the optical drive to boot instead of the hard drive. Sometimes, F12 brings up the boot menu at boot time.

Other than not being able to boot the DVD, what actual problems are you having with the machine?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice