1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by john0109, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john0109

john0109 Thread Starter

This AM, I was at the MS Upadate site running windows update on a Windows ME machine. It told me there were several critical updates, but had to run one first. I selected it and let it run. It ran into problems. Now I have a corrupt Internet Explorer. I can't uninstall it, because Control Panel doesn't work either. I tried to follow Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318153, but that does not work either. I downloaded IE Setup (used another machine & copied the file to the problem machine) but it runs then fails. It tells me files are missing - exit - then resume install, but thens fails.
    Can anyone offer me some help?
    Thanks.
    John0109

2. dai

dai

if you click on add and remove if there is not a repair option there when you click remove a repair option should come up

3. kodi

kodi

If you can't access your control panel you could try and reinstall your OS over the top of itself

4. john0109

john0109 Thread Starter

Dai
    I can't open Control Panel to get to the "remove a repair option"

5. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered

Hello john0109,

I found, having a similar problem, that the best approach was a format and install. If you have experience of this proceedure all well and good. If not there are many posts available, on searching, outlining what is, in the final analysis, preferable to an install- over. Granted, with the need for backing-up your personal data, reinstalling all the Updates and your assorted freeware/shareware , it is time consuming - for the first timer. But well worth it.

6. john0109

john0109 Thread Starter

Ben
    Thanks.
    I have a disk from Microsoft that has the full version of IE 6.0 on it. I was going to try and re-install IE from the disk. I don't know if it will work. If it doesn't, looks like I will have to follow your advice.

Do you know of a good source that will tell me where to look for personal files and documents on the computer? I know the obvious ones (My Documents, etc). For example, she uses Yahoo for IM'ing. Are address books stored on the machine or at the Yahoo website?
    Thanks again
    John

7. dai

dai

do a system restore to before you updated

8. john0109

john0109 Thread Starter

Dai
    I do not know what you mean. When I go to System Restore, there is nothing there in the window to restore to.

9. dai

dai

click on a date in the calendar

10. john0109

john0109 Thread Starter

Where is no date. Nothing is in the window.

11. dai

dai

i have no answer to that
    if you have ie 5.5 install that before ver.6
    in my foggy memory i seem to remember you could not install 6 unless 5.5 was properly installed,and if you uninstalled 6 it just went back to 5.5

12. smeegle

smeegle

13. john0109

john0109 Thread Starter

WOW!
    Thanks, I will give that a try tonight.
    Thanks again
    john0109

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice