1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt Jpegs Vista

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Zent33, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zent33

Zent33 Thread Starter

I have read hundreds and hundreds of posts from other vista users who seem to have the same problem - random corrupting of Jpegs. Photos downloaded properly (and even thumbnail looks good) but somehow photos have become corrupt with jumbled color bars, etc. It seems that roughly 20% of photos have become corrupt. I have read many offered solutions but none seem to work for me. Can anyone offer a solution to fix the corrupted Jpegs?

Many thanks

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

The corruption that you've described means you are not likely to get a good recovery rate. Is there any chance there's a copy still on the camera card.

If the camera card hasn't been used since you transferred to your computer, there is a very good chance of a good recovery with free recovery software.

3. Zent33

Zent33 Thread Starter

Thanks. I spent all last night trying to catalog the corrupt files and it looks like closer to 13-14% of files. Interestingly the corrupt files are confined to a 2 year period from Jan 2007 - February 2009 of the almost 10 years of photos on my computer. The corrupt files are also comprised of both photos I took and jpegs that were emailed to me and saved.
    I got a new computer this week and transfered all the files to a new Windows 7 Dell laptop and the corrupt files all traveled to the new computer. Unfortunately I don't have the files on the camera card anymore (I deleted them long ago -- they wouldn't be salvageable from there, right?) and the back-up I have (which is essentially a copy of my hard drive) is corrupt as well. Any suggestions to fix the photos on my old Vista system or my new Windows 7 system? Again, many thanks to all for your insights.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice