Corrupt .jpg

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ece2

I'm not sure when or how, but I've discovered that whole batches of .jpg photos that I have are not working - they cannot be opened (I've tried several programs, tried re-associating with different default programs, and have tried opening from the web). Microsoft 10 Photos program simply says "we can't open this file". HP Photo Viewer says "file format is not supported or is invalid". IrfanView (downloaded just now to try to help with this) says "unknown file format, empty/damaged file or file not found!". I don't appear to have a virus (have checked - and have always run virus software). So not sure why suddenly some (but not all) of my .jpg files are corrupted or not working. But they were fine before. Can someone help me diagnose? Oh, also, based on the time stamps in Shutterfly and Carbonite where I do backups, this was a problem BEFORE I converted to Windows 10.

I tried to upload an example .jpg file to this thread, but it's erroring out too (it says "the uploaded file was not an image as expected). But I know these were viewable images at one point - because I sorted them into photo albums and couldn't have done so with a picture I hadn't been able to view.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 7989 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -325 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 694114 MB, Free - 272512 MB; D: Total - 20985 MB, Free - 3042 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 144C
Antivirus: Norton Security, Updated and Enabled

ece2

Clarification: the thumbnail image is not working either, and I found 1 backup file that contained a couple of the same photos uncorrupted - but the majority I still can't recover.

Here's an example (screenshot) of 1 photo I found an uncorrupted version of. As you can see, one is readable, the other is not.
Screenshot_1.png

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online