1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt Media Center 2005

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blknblu1, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blknblu1

blknblu1 Thread Starter

Best to ask the experts first, right, so I'll try to keep it short. I'm competent with XP, but no master. Problem with my Media Center.

I'm running XP Media Center Edition 2005. I have the installation discs. I have run MCERepair_0.2 to no avail. I have run sfc /scannow. No joy.

I suspect an overheated video card (found in event viewer) and subsequent forced shutdown of the system has corrupted some registry entries/shortcuts with media center. It was recording at night when the overheating occurred. The video card issue is now repaired, and media center worked perfectly beforehand.

Now, certain media center menu options have stopped responding. Specifically, the "more programs" menu and "online spotlight". The links to Creative Sound Blaster, Weather, Nvidia, Nero are still shown, but when I clik on them or use the remote, it "thinks" for a second as if loading, but then returns to the same screen without loading the programs. A loop.

My TV, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos shortcuts still work. It is only these two menu options that have stopped functioning, as if their shortcuts are missing or corrupted. I could care less about online spotlight, but the options now unavailable from the "more programs" list is annoying.

Is there a way to rebuild these shortcuts or is any of this familiar??

If not, I'm aware I can't re-install JUST the media center, and I'll be forced to re-install the OS from my CD's.

Will a repair installation (not recovery console) from my XP cd's have me lose the Nvidia codec (I had to pay for :mad:) ? I don't have the registration code needed for install of this codec anymore, so if I will lose that function I'd sooner upgrade to Windows 7 which has this codec included.

Hope that was short enough with all pertinent info, and thanks for reading. I'm just asking a few questions of the experts here before striking the match...

blknblu1

2. blknblu1

blknblu1 Thread Starter

Bump?

3. blknblu1

blknblu1 Thread Starter

Alright, nobody wants to touch the red-headed step child. :rolleyes: I can understand that. Could you answer me this question.

If I attempt a repair install (not repair console and yes, I have the retail CD's), do I have to back up all my files on my C drive to be safe, or the entire system, or just the drive that the OS is on? I have three 500G drives, and back-up would be a chore. I've attached a screen shot of my HDD set-up.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!