1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

corrupt microsoft office on VISTA

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by master69, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. master69

master69 Thread Starter

i was given a solution to this problem before. it was a corrupt normaldot file in microsoft word that was causing document to open in safe mode and then freeze while virus checks were initiated within the document itself. the problem with the solution i was given, was that the solution applied to XP explorer and not Vista, si it as impossible to find the normaldot.file, which is located in documents -settings. this location is not available in Vista (and a search didn;t bring the normaldot.file up either!).

so if someone could tell me how to deal with this issue or give me an alternative means of fixing the problem I would be very grateful of course. And I thank everyone for their very kind support and effort in supporting me with these issues.:cool:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

With "show hidden files" enabled, try normal.dotm in your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates directory.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100307561033.aspx

By the way, I would strongly recommend you remove your email address from your signature unless you want it to be culled by "spam bots".

3. master69

master69 Thread Starter

thanks very much.I actually just removed it. and i have a pretty good bot blocker, and anitspam device. Thanks very much for your help

^^@^^

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. master69

master69 Thread Starter

these template files don;t exist accroding to my pc...and if they do how do i find them when i don't know which folder thern hidden in...

vista die die die!

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What version of Office are you using?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Rollin Rog I show normal11.dot in Vista for Office 2003.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yep got it!

11. master69

master69 Thread Starter

This is the file path...there is no such file:
    pleae remember that this is an older verso of microsoft word (Office 2000) for windows 98 - and the compatability modes does not work either):

1. HDD (C:)
    2. Users
    3. Default
    4. AppData
    5. then the only two file options are: [Local > Microsoft > game explorer / Temp > Windows] and[Roaming > Media Center Programs (0)/ Microsoft > Internet EXplorer > Quick Launch / Windows . network shortcuts /printer shortcuts /recent/send to/start menu > programs/templates (0)]

the normaldot.file is nowhere to be seen
    thanks

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

13. master69

master69 Thread Starter

because i have 10 years worth of academic work in word files..and word pad is a little primitive to say the least. If i opne them in any other programs i loose all the font, paginattion and presentation.

thanks for the suggestion anyway. I will look agt Star Office

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

So Can Open Office

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yeah, it will open all the past stuff. What it does not open is the new 2007 .docx format. These need to be converted to .doc files first.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice