1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

corrupt NTFS.sys file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bcebersold, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcebersold

bcebersold Thread Starter

so my computer is having some problems. when it starts up, it says "Windows could nto start because the following file is missing or corrupt. System32\Drivers\NTFS.sys" it says to restart with the windows cd and hit "r" at the first screen. i can do all that but i can not remember the administrator password. ive tried everything that it could be and have come up empty. i am able to take out the hard drive and externally hook it up to another computer. at that point, i can look through the hdd and see the files. i tried to replace the file with a copy of the one that is on the other computer but that didnt work so i changed it back. please help me out with this soon. it will be greatly appreaciated.
    thanks
    bcebersold

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If no administrator password was ever created, just hit enter.

If no luck, you can try one of the tools avaliable here:

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

Once you get in the recovery console try this command:

copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\I386\NTFS.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice