1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

corrupt or missing config\system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dewy4PrezII, May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dewy4PrezII

Dewy4PrezII Thread Starter

I need help fixing my computer at home. When I booted it up yesterday I got the following message:

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\Windows\System32\Config\System

You Can attempt to repair the file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM

Select 'r' at the first screen
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My system is running Windows XP Home operating system. I am not sure what steps I can do when attempting to repair using windows setup. I have attempted some of the fixes I have found online but the system crashes and freezes up after just a few moments while running in the recovery console. I also attempted to reinstall windows but once again teh system crashed. The message I get when the system crashes is the following on an all blue screen:

Quote:
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer

This problem seems to be caused by the following file: spcmdcon.sys

It concludes with

Quote:
    Technical Information:
    ***STOP: 0X000000BE (0X808AAA16, 0X008AA121, 0XFD58B614, 0X0000000A)
    ***SPCMDCON.SYS - ADDRESS FCC80DC7 BASE AT FCC68000, DATESTAMP 3D6DD67C

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. Dewy4PrezII

Dewy4PrezII Thread Starter

Unfortunately I have tried that, but the system locks up and freezes before I can get very far. I am concerned that there may be a hardware issue that is causign the problem, such as bad memory, and before I scrap the info in the hard drive and re-install windows (which I tried but it lock up before I could) I am throwing this out there to see if anyone has had a similar issue

4. Dan O

Dan O

Did you fix your PC?

5. Wikiman

Wikiman

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

7. Wikiman

Wikiman

Thanks for the info. By the way, I'm working on a Wikipedia article on it. Here's a link that should work: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPCMDCON.SYS". Be sure to fight for my article, it needs a few thousand "keep" votes to dig it out of a hole.:D (y)

8. WhitPhil

And, this is your contribution???

"SPCMDCON.SYS is a bootup command that performs high-level command processing, rivaling that of even MS-DOS."

You still didn't explain why you are adding something about it to Wikipedia!

9. Wikiman

Wikiman

Actually, I added something to it since you checked it out. Also, the reason I did the article was there's a screenshot that had SPMDCON causing an error, so I got curious and decided to make an article about it.;)

10. WhitPhil

OK, thanks.

But it still isn't "a bootup command that performs high-level command processing, rivaling that of even MS-DOS"

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!