1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt outlook .pst files

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by krash69, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krash69

krash69 Thread Starter

I had errors with outlook, it would download the e-mails and then promt an error message some weird #. I back-up .pst and .ost files, uninstalled and re-installed outlook. I fired it up to c my old messages still there. outlook had installed in the location I back-up files. I then deleted the back-ups ( as they were huge and most likely the problem) uninstalled outlook rebooted and re-installed. when I started outlook again it says it cant find outlook.pst. I dont have that file anymore and it wont let me delete the reference to it in control panel/mail/ accounts etc. how do i get a fresh install of outlook now ?
    I am using outlook xp with frontpage. any help would be apreciated...Krash :confused:

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Let me preface this by saying that although I have Outlook 2003 installed, I do not use it for my email.

However, in Control Panel I have a Mail icon. Click on this and I see the profiles available; when I click on Properties I have various options, at least one of which allows me to set/create .pst file and location.

You might want to take a look there.

Hope this helps,

MBN

3. krash69

krash69 Thread Starter

Yes, I have seen that option but it wont allow me to delete the link to the backup location as it says i need to create another default file, I have done that and it still wont let me delete that reference as I have deleted the actual .pst file to try and encourage a fresh install.

4. diamondnular

diamondnular

When you try to uninstall Outlook, then some keys are still in registry. Those keys, with the path showing the location of *.pst files, and of course, when you delete them, files were not there but keys still. After uninstalling Outlook and reboot, you should go to Run - regedit, and try to find all keys containing "outlook" then delete all of them. Give it a try.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice