1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt Recycle Bin?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shifter, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shifter

shifter Thread Starter

I have a problem with my recycle bin on WinXP SP3 (problem occured while on SP2).

When I select the amount of space to allow for the bin, the amounts shown for each drive are incorrect.

That is; for the C partition at 5% = 0.97Gb (C is 19.5Gb full size), which is correct but...

D partition at 5% = 3.99Gb (D is 97Gb full size)
    E partition at 5% = 3.99Gb (E is 180Gb full size)
    F partition at 5% = 3.99Gb (F is 320Gb full size)

all of which are obviously incorrect.

The problem exists using both 'global' and 'configure drives independantly' modes.

I've tried rebooting to let the new selections register, to no avail.

---------------

PS: The lead up to me noticing this problem was...

* I had deleted several large (1Gb+) files from F drive, which seemed to cause the CHKDSK utility to detect problems with the MFT and the volumes Bitmap.

* CHKDSK would lock the F drive, since I couldnt use F drive I would reboot to allow CHKDSK to run. I could use F drive for varying amounts of time and then it would lock again. CHKDSK would find and resolve errors each time it ran.

* I ran other checks and rewrote the MFT from its mirror backup. Upon using the drive again I tried to empty the bin and it revealed an error something along the lines of "recyle bin for F drive is corrupt"

* Finally, I am at the stage where I havent 'used' the troubled drive for some days (the drive is present always but I havent moved any data around) and CHKDSK hasn't run at all. The machine has been rebooted daily or more.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/718350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice