1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt .rtf file in Word 2010

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gabriella17, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriella17

Gabriella17 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

Last night, my computer rebooted itself unexpectedly while I was accessing a Word document. I was constantly saving the document, so I expected that it would come back up when the computer rebooted.
    Every time I try to open it in Word, it says that the file is corrupt and cannot be read.
    I have tried the Open & Repair function. I have also tried the Extract Text from All Files function. When I did the latter, the document came up to about 1,000 pages worth of different codes.
    When I open it in WordPad, the most recent things I saved did not come up. I am absolutely sure that I saved what I was working on.
    Is there any way I can fix this corrupt file? It is a crucial part of an assignment.

2. Lance1

Lance1

If MS Word says it corrupted you may want to try a third party app called Openoffice Its a free app that will recognize MS Office extensions and may open the .rtf. When installing OpenOffice, make sure NOT to make it the default office suite.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice