1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt/Semi-Formatted Hard Drive - Need to Recover Data!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taweisse, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taweisse

taweisse Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I recently needed to boot to the Command Prompt on my Windows 7 HP Laptop. I used the recovery disks I made, thinking I could access the CMD from there, like I had read online. Not finding anything at the main recovery menu screen, I clicked on System Reset/Restore to attempt to get to CMD from there. Ive done a full factory reset 3 times in the past, so I didnt plan to actually format my Hard Drive while trying to boot to CMD. However, I clicked the next button one to many times, and without much warning, System Restore started to format my main HD. I held the power button down to force shut down the computer and stop formatting but I knew damage had already been done.

I would assume that the formatting I did just erased the file system necessarily to access the actual information, without actually erasing much of my files. I took the HD out of my laptop and put it into an external enclosure, attempting to access the info from another computer. the drive shows up, but there is no size for it, and when opening it, it requires another format before it can be viewed. If I boot my laptop with the damaged drive in it, it will say "error loading operating system", so it des recognize that the drive has an OS installed on it. Is there any way to recover the files on the HD? Im not sure how the file system itself works, but it seems like it would be possible to write a file system back onto the HD without destroying its contents. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you positive that it was "formatting"? There isn't usually a format when using the recovery partition for recovery, or the recovery disks. Did it actually say "formatting"?

I suppose it doesn't much matter because even if it had started to restore the disk image, the results would have been almost the same.

About all you can do is scan with recovery software and see if anything remains. You really should try that before messing with the file system or partitions in case all ends up lost.

[​IMG]Files that are not backed up are files you should expect to lose.[​IMG]

The trouble is that anything that would try to "rebuild" what was on the disk would need to include the data that is no longer present to create accurate structures, like an MFT or boot record. But try everything.

Free:

Using TestDisk To Repair Corrupted MFT, Repair NTFS Boot Sector (or build a new one if both are corrupted), Or Create Or Restore Boot Sector Backups.

Paragon Rescue Kit
    Parted Magic (The best boot CD. Includes data recovery to CD/DVD, network, or USB, Testdisk for partition recovery, audio tests, and much more)
    Testdisk Documentation
    Testdisk Download
    Minitool Partition Recovery
    Easeus Partition Recovery
    Diskinternals Partition Recovery
    Partition Wizard Boot CD
    DriveRescue
    Testdisk Boot Disk
    Partition Find & Mount
    Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Commercial:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
    [email protected] Partition Recovery
    Bootmaster Partition Recovery
    ZAR Partition Recovery
    DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
    Partition Table Doctor

3. taweisse

taweisse Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply!

It was formatting, and said so. It was through the Factory Reset option at the menu screen of the recovery disks. It was at 1 percent when I force canceled it. I did back up most of my important stuff, there was a a lot of stuff I would like back though, although I can live without it. I will try thesoftware you linked to, and hope I get somewhere, thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice