1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

corrupt system/config and unknown admin pasword

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Billy_Boy_Jr, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Billy_Boy_Jr

Billy_Boy_Jr Thread Starter

I got the windows/systems32/system/config is missing/corrupt error message. But when I tried to
    repair with my startup disk I found I have an admin password set. I have no idea how or what it was set to. So I cant change the booting sequence and the machine never gets to look at my cd drive. I have no important data on the drive is there any way I can erase the drive manually?

Thanks for listening to me rant.

Bill

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Are you referring to a BIOS password to be able to get into the BIOS (aka Setup) settings? If so, the forum rules won't let us help you bypass that, other than pointing you to the Owner's Manual for the system/Motherboard, it may have instructions on how to reset/remove a BIOS password.

Or is it the administrator password for the Recovery Console that is requested after booting with the XP CD?
    Are you sure you have a password set? The Recovery Console asks for it even if one is not set. Try just pressing Enter.

If that doesn't work, the rules won't let us help you get around the password.

Many systems let you press a key at boot to bring up a boot menu to choose the device you want to boot from, often F12. It's usually displayed onj the screen as the system boots. You can press Pause to freeze the screen to give you time to read it. Press any key to continue.

If you can get it to boot to a CD, you can use a Live CD to repair the registry from a restore point. A bit easier than using the Recovery Console per the MS Corrupt Registry KB Article
    See this post for the steps:
    How to restore the registry from a System Restore point using a Vista/Win7 Disk

A Vista RE disk can be downloaded from one of these links:
    Vista Recovery Environment CD
    64 bit Vista
    32 bit Vista
    Windows 7 from here:
    Recovery Environment CD

3. Billy_Boy_Jr

Hi OutCaste, thanks for the reply. Unforunately it is the setup password. I was afraid it wasnt possible to get around that. Is it possible to erase the harddrive outside of the laptop or do I bite the bullet and buy a new drive. I would like to just reformat it but not sure that is possible.

Thanks again, Bill

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

A new drive won't do you any good if you can't boot to a CD to install anything.

You can install XP to the drive by connecting it to another PC to start the process, the move it back to this system to finish the process.
    See this post for details:
    How to install XP to a drive while connected to another PC

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You can also try repairing the current installation while the drive is connected to another PC. See this post for details:

[post=6304862]How to restore the registry from a System Restore point using a 2nd PC[/post]

6. Billy_Boy_Jr

Thanks alot OutCaste,,you've been alot of help. I'll try to let you know how it goes. The laptop is my Pop's so he might just want to junk it. He's 86 and hates computers anyway.

Thanks again.

Bill(I would'nt caste you out)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice