1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt System Registry File (Error 0xc000014c)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by knosliw, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knosliw

knosliw Thread Starter

The other night I went to turn on my computer and received this message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system
    Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

I have a Toshiba Portege (tablet, bought in September 2007), with Intel Centrino Duo and Windows Vista Business. I know that you would probably need more information about my computer, but that is honestly all I know about it. My computer was bought through my school, and my tech support guy did not provide us with the Vista installation disc, and I have no way of reaching him until I return to school next week. However, I need my laptop before then (I am currently on my mother's laptop). Is there any other way for me to solve this problem, or am I out of luck?

2. joeten

joeten

3. knosliw

knosliw Thread Starter

I downloaded the file and burned it to a CD, but when I inserted it into my laptop nothing happened: I just got the same error screen.

Is there a certain key I need to press or something?

4. joeten

joeten

did you burn as iso file try using imgburner no key you may need to go into the bios and change the boot order to cd/dvd try f2 on boot

5. knosliw

knosliw Thread Starter

Okay, when I press F2 the screen shows the general "TOSHIBA In Touch With Tomorrow" logo, and below that are six icons that you can choose from.

The first icon is 3 stacked discs, the second icon is 3 stacked discs and something else that might represent a hard drive, the third icon is one disc, the fourth icon is a floppy disk and a memory card, the fifth icon is two laptops connected by a network or wires of some sort, and the sixth icon is a USB flashdrive type of thing.

I tried the first three icons, since they were the ones that showed discs, but each time it just took me back to the same error screen.

6. joeten

joeten

7. knosliw

knosliw Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help, I was able to start up the disc. It didn't work, but for the other people out there with the same problem who have the disc, I think it will. And once I'm able to contact my tech guy and get the proper disc I'm sure this will work.

8. joeten

joeten

ok here is something to try go to your comps mfr support web site page for your model and you should be able to get the manual or info and see if there is a recovery partitions and how to access it once you know that you can restore it to its original factory settings google toshiba support and work from there

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802443