1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt/Unreadable files preventing use of laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by proshop7, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proshop7

proshop7 Thread Starter

I installed Gozilla on my laptop, then rebooted. While rebooting it requires check disk utility to run which shows errors then reboots to Windows. (It has never done this before.) Reboot appears normal for about 10 seconds, then Gozilla window opens as if ready for use, dialup window opens also, then configuration error appears for Sony PC Suite, system then freezes and window opens with "The file or directory Windows\Prefetch\RUNDLL32.EXE-49AOAECA.pf is corrupt and unreadable run chkdsk utility" At that point nothing can be done.

Laptop appears to be trying to read something but nothing happens. I have tried restarting, control,alt,delete to no avail. After powering down I tried system restore disk and Norton AntiVirus. Neither is of use because there is no advancing after 10 seconds of restarting in Windows. What can I do to get up and going again?

I have an Acer Aspire3000 laptop, AMD Sempron, 60G, 512 DDR running Win XP

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It sounds like a serious data corruption or the hard drive may be failing.

As its likely a preinstalled Windows version you probably do not have an XP CD, just a "recovery CD"?

Any critical data on the laptop, or have you been sensibly backing up?

You may need to do a full reinstall, but that would mean all data would be lost. Slaving the laptop hard drive either via an adapter or a USB case may be required using another XP PC if you need to attempt data recovery.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/479598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice