1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

corrupt windown/system/config/system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Patsi33, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patsi33

Patsi33 Thread Starter

When I reboot I get the following error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup cd. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I tried to follow the instructions on microsoft's website but after selecting 'r' I ended up with a C prompt and never got the option to log on as administrator. When I tried to do the first command of "md tmp" I received the message "access denied". Not sure what else to do. This is a dell dimension PC running windows XP service pack 2.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I tired calling Dell but they wanted $40 for the phone call.

Thanks

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When you reach the Recovery Console, what prompt are you at when you begin those instructions?

If you enter the command dir do you see the contents of the Windows directory?

You may find it easier to just do a reinstall with the Dell CD, instructions here for that:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you do the recovery console method and it doesn't succeed, you need to restore the backed up "tmp" files before trying the reinstall to avoid loss of data and programs.

Recovery Console method here:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62075

There are several things to note about this operation.

1 > it is not a "reinstall" of Windows, but a method of accessing System Restore.

2 > all command lines are one line with appropriate spacing -- the doc file does not always reflect this.

3 > you must complete all 3 parts for it to be a proper restore.

4 > in the first part of this document you are given the command:

copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

you may get a "file not found" when running this command. If you do, substitute this command instead:

copy C:\windows\repair\system.bak C:\windows\system32\config\system

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice