1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt windows install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by doober1, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doober1

doober1 Thread Starter

Hello all, a friend, has an old xp home pc. I know little about the pc,except out of the blue,when trying to boot, a message similar to ' corrupt windows installation, insert windows disc, and press R '
    The pc is hopefully not infected, as it had not been on the internet recently, or anything connected to it.

I have managed to borrow an xp home disc.
    I understand there are two forms of repair, one using the recovery console, and another that replaces the system files.

Can anyone please give me advice/suggestions.
    As the pc is so old,and not important enough to spend money on, i was asked to have a go at repairing,with the disc.
    Sorry i can give no further info,I have not seen the pc yet

Any suggestions would be gratefully excepted.
    Many thanks

2. huggie54

huggie54

under operating systems tab at the top of page is a sticky on reinstall windows,in there scroll down to windows home and click, in there is detailed instuctions how to repair windows

3. doober1

doober1 Thread Starter

Thank you kindly. It says you need the Windows XP COA, or serial number. At what stage does this need to entered ? I cannot see this in the tutorial. Cheers
    Hopefully this will be found on the tower, I presume

4. doober1

doober1 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, well, i got the pc. Basically the main problems are,

1 Its not set to boot from cd
    2 The keypad F keys do not function ( i cannot enter bios, safe mode )
    3 Tried to install security programs ( get error that all corrupt ) managed to run malwarebytes after renaming setup file and mbam.exe file,but it found nothing
    4 Pc reboots on its own

Excuse me, i am no expert, i ran chkdsk ( no problems ), i ran sfc.exe /scannow, i was prompted to enter windows xp disc, i did, i was told it was incorrect disc, managed a system restore,but it has not helped.
    Are there different versions of xp home ? I could try reformatting with the cd, but i fear the key on the tower may be rejected.

Any advice most welcome

5. huggie54

huggie54

hiya mate,you got another keyboard to try

6. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
  7. doober1

doober1 Thread Starter

Hello again, i borrowed a keyboard, and changed the boot priority.I am currently running kaspersky rescue disk. I will post the outcome.
    I would appreciate your thoughts on trying a repair of windows, using the borrowed xp disc. I am slightly concerned that when prompted to insert the disc last time, ( when running sfc.exe /scannow )it told me it was the incorrect product cd.

Thank you for your time

8. doober1

doober1 Thread Starter

Ok, have run the repair solution, i was asked for serial key.I put in key.
    Please bear in mind this is not my pc,my connection is virgin cable, this pc is ususally connected through a telephone line.I cannot establish an internet connection. I cannot activate windows. Can anyone advise ? I have reached the end of my tether, ive been at this thing for hours.
    ANYONE :(

9. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Do you have a utilities cd that may have the software required to connect online ? If this is an OEM pc like Dell or HP you could try finding the software under the support section. Also hope this helps you... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314095

10. doober1

doober1 Thread Starter

I have nothing, the pc is locked down. I cannot log on.All i get is " lets activate windows ". It cannot establish a connection, it logs off. It s a packard bell. How on earth can the pc connect to MS if there is no connection. I can get no further than trying to log on. Is my only option to use the telephone number ? I feel a fool. The tower has a genuine windows sticker, with serial key. I can understand why people hate MS.:eek:
    Has something gone wrong,or is this normal.Afer a repair/reinstall of windows,do you normally have this trouble

11. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Check that your network adapter is installed properly : click start / run and type in devmgmt.msc and click OK. Click view / show hidden devices. If there are any flagged devices in the list (yellow or red sign in front of their name) tell us about it. Also you can use whatever pc your using to post in this thread and download the needed software to a cd here... http://support.packardbell.com/uk/

12. doober1

doober1 Thread Starter

Hello again, what a difference a daymakes :rolleyes:.Last night the pc was completely locked, i couldn't log on,open or run anything. Just this MS thing taking the whole screen asking me to activate.This morning i was preparing to ring MS, however when i switched the pc on, i got " windows cannot boot, pci.sys is corrupted or missing. I suspect this was the message the owner originally got, but had not told me of the exact file ( pci.sys )
    I inserted the xp disc to try another repair, then realised i had got the dodgy keyboard ( i returned the other one ) so i couldn't even boot from the cd.
    I thought about building ubcd4win, but to be honest, i already tried the repair,so i assume there is a serious problem somewhere.The pc is 10 years old.
    So not a happy ending.
    Many thanks for your replies, it was much appreicated. Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

Just out of curiosity, do you think this could be related to corrupted ram ?

13. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
  14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    May have missed it above--can you boot into Safe Mode?

If you want to fairly quickly get an idea of whether the hardware is working try a Unix Live CD, such as Puppy Linux.

If your friend has a valid XP Product key (COA) you can format the hard drive and install XP fresh using a borrowed XP installation CD (should match Home/Pro and OEM/Retail). You've said that the computer is older than XP, so the PC would not have a sticker with the Product key.

15. doober1

doober1 Thread Starter

Terrynet, great minds think alike ( i wish ) I had already downloaded puppy linux.
    Anyway things have taken a turn for the better. I looked in the tower and fiddled with the two 256mb ram sticks. Turned it back on, and got to the MS activation screen,I rang the number and read out a huge list of numbers. I was given a new set of numbers, which i entered.The activation was successful.The tower does have a xp home sticker, so maybe its not as old as i was told.
    I then installed Avira AV, with no problems ( yet )
    The person who owns this pc must be a bit daft. They have been on the internet with no firewall, no AV and windows updates turned off since July 2009 :eek:
    Amazingly yesterday Kaspersky and Avira rescue discs found no malware.
    Once again, thanks for everyones suggestions and help. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice