1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupt XP Setup – trying to remove setup by logging on from another disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bbnnhh, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbnnhh

bbnnhh Thread Starter

I mistakenly launched XP Setup and want to know how to stop it from progressing further. I have another XP installed on another virtual disk. Rebooting from there allowed me delete the Setup files. Or so I thought ! The main XP installation however continues to try to launch Setup. Just about whatever I do, it ends in tears. My question is … how do I stop XP on this disk from thinking it has to launch Setup? I don’t want to reinstall XP, as that will involve a huge amount of work to recreate my environment.

I am able to choose my operating system when I press F8

If I launch the corrupt system in “safe mode” or “domain controllers”, everything appears to progress normally until the very end… when the XP black desktop appears (and just before the icons appear). At that point I get the error message
    “Windows XP cannot run under safe mode” and I am asked to click OK to consult a log file. The screen however is actually frozen at that point, so I have to unplug the machine.

Otherwise if I launch in debugging mode or “Last known good configuration”m I get a message saying “Setup will restart now” and then “ Setup is being restarted…” while the usual XP installation logos start to appear e.g. “An exciting new look etc…”. Shortly afterwards I get
    “An error that has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing ”,
    Again the screen freezes so I need to unplug the machine.

I looked at the difference config and ini files, and compared the Windows directories on both disks, also looking for hidden files. I looked at the log files…
    setuplog.txt refers to this command, but I can’t file neither the file nor the folder (nor is the corrupt setting on D)
    d:\xpsprtm\base\ntsetup\syssetup\syssetup.c,6434,BEGIN_SECTION,Installing Windows NT

setupact.log
    The critical system information file K:\WINDOWS\system32\$winnt$.inf is corrupt or missing

Any ideas very welcome ! Thanks!

2. bbnnhh

bbnnhh Thread Starter

Bump!

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  4. bbnnhh

bbnnhh Thread Starter

Thanks for reply. Yes I have been all over Boot.ini - the problem is elsewhere. I have the hard disk partioned into several virtual disks with xp installed on each... that allows me inspect the defunct installation from a distance. Thanks for any more ideas.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Run FIXMBR from the Recovery Console.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please send a screen shot of "disk management".

Have you tried Ultimate Boot CD or KNOPPIX?

RF123

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

b:
    Any progress?

RF123

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice