1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

corrupted cd rom

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by snapoff33, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snapoff33

snapoff33 Thread Starter

on starting up my computer it says the cd rom has been corruped.......config.sys.......line 10??????? The cd rom is not working so what do I do???

2. columbo

columbo

Go to Start, Run, type in SYSEDIT. Then go to your config.sys file, and put a semi-colon at the far-left side of the tenth line down close out of sysedit.

Then right-click on My Computer, go to Properties, then click on the Device Manager tab. Then click on the CD-ROM, and remove it. Then click OK, and restart when prompted.

Hope this helps

Columbo

3. snapoff33

snapoff33 Thread Starter

thanks I tryed it but it didn't work.:( I've had this problem a few years back and tryed all kinds of things but nothing worked, what I ended up doing is using my recovery cd and the cd rom came back. Do you have any idea how I can use my recovery cd, I can't remember how I did it???? Help!!

4. columbo

columbo

Hi,

OK. Did you follow those exact instructions? Try going back into sysedit, then placing a ; at the start of EACH line in your config.sys file (this will prevent those commands from being run at startup). Then save the changes, and close out of sysedit. Then restart your computer.

Then go into Device Manager, and expand the little + symbol beside your CD-ROM. How many devices are listed there (it should only be one)? Is there a little yellow exclamation mark there?

Delete any entries associated with CD-ROM and click on OK. Then click yes to restart. Provided you're using Windows 95 or 98, your CD-ROM will automatically detect and re-install itself.

If you still have the problem, please reply back, and indicate what kind of CD-ROM you have (make/model).

Thanks

Columbo

5. snapoff33

snapoff33 Thread Starter

thanks for trying, I thought for sure that would work........but nope. So how do I find out what kind of cd rom I have?? I have no idea. I still think using the recovery cd is the best way to go.....like I said I have had this problem before and that was the only way I got it to come back. :(

6. john1

john1

MMmm...

i thought it was two semi colons,

;;

maybe i'm getting mixed up with something else,

John

7. snapoff33

snapoff33 Thread Starter

Okay I tryed that, nope didn't work. Any other ideas???

Heidi:(

8. snapoff33

snapoff33 Thread Starter

what should I try next?? Does anyone have any ideas??

9. john1

john1

Hi snapoff,

I think you will have to open it up
    and have a look.

Have a look and see if you can tell.

John

10. snapoff33

snapoff33 Thread Starter

Well I did open it up, the tower that is........I looked to see if anything was un hooked nothing was as far as I could tell. So now what????
    Heidi

11. WD-69

WD-69

You sure you looked in your device manager? Seems to me, win98 has usually been pretty accurate about showing makes and models there.
    Per a previous post;
    When you do get there, hi-lite what you find (under cd-rom) then clik remove. Restart machine and should be re- autodetected.

12. snapoff33

snapoff33 Thread Starter

I've already done that SEVERAL times. :(:(:( Heidi

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have you tried, start button, run, then type msconfig...uncheck the box to process the config.sys file......then reboot......

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice