1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupted Ext HD out of the blue. How can I retrieve my data?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hakkuryuu, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hakkuryuu

Hakkuryuu Thread Starter

I plugged in my 80 gig maxtor usb ext hd into my desktop to put some files in it. When i clicked the 'safely remove harddrive' icon, and tried to remove it, it said i wasnt allowed to as some programs were still accessing it when nothing was. So i decided to pull it out anyway as i sometimes do when i get this message with my other ext hd or thumbdrives. I rarely do this, since i rarely get that problem.

But when i pulled it back into my laptop, it gives me an error 'Drive H is corrupted and inaccesible'. I tried it with my desktop. Same error. I checked the properties and it sayd the drive is working properly. But the space used and left is zero. The file type is RAW. What does this mean? I'm getting really worried as the files in my ext hd are very valuable to my work.

I took it to some service shops. the one i bought it off from said they used to be able to do retrieving but now their company policies dont allow them anymore, at 1 gig for 200 bucks. another shop said all they could do is to reformat it which i cant afford.

Can anyone please help me?

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The very first thing I would do would be to pull the drive and install it as an internal drive. This eliminates the enclosure as a source of problems. If you still cannot access the drive, you can attempt to use data recovery software. I use O&O disk recovery and it works well.

Both of the above assume the disk is spooling up. If the disk does not spool up, your only real option is to take it to a data recovery shop.

This is another example of why we stress backups SO much here. With a backup of your files, you simply restore the backup. While it does you no good now, I would really invest in a backup plan for the future; it will save this from happening again.

4. Hakkuryuu

Hakkuryuu Thread Starter

ah thank you for the suggestion. as i'm no pro when it comes to taking apart my computer, i did get the o&o recovery and it's in progress as i type. i'm praying very very hard it'll work. thanks again!

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Remember: Data you don't have at least two copies of is data you don't care about.

6. Hakkuryuu

Hakkuryuu Thread Starter

.... i have to pay for the 0&o dont i.....

i just found a dusty ext hd that actually has 90% of my work in it. it's all i can get. yes i totally agree....backup backup. thank god this ext hd works.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, O&O is not free however it does work very well.

8. Hakkuryuu

Hakkuryuu Thread Starter

is there any other free software that i can use? yes i sound like a cheapo....

and would this problem be from the hd itself or a glitch? shld i just get a new drive?; its still under warranty =)

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There are numerous free recovery apps however I do not use them and really cannot recommend one to you. Do a google search and I am sure you can find one or more.

You can test the drive with the drive maker's utility for checking drives. You download this from whoever made your drive ie WD, Maxtor, Seagate, etc. You will need to do this anyway for any warranty support.

10. Hakkuryuu

Hakkuryuu Thread Starter

I got the full edition of O&O diskrecovery. but it churned out over 40 gigs of absolutely empty corrupted stuff which wont open or play. somehow i feel cheated...

I got norton ghost, but it wont work without a recovery point (which doesnt seem to cover ext hds).

What next does anyone reccomend?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/570987