Corrupted external hard drives

MisterP

I've collected a bunch of external hard drives over the years that no longer work. Some are big 2TB jobs that run from mains power, and a couple are smaller jobs that run off usb power. In each case, when I connect to my laptop I either get the dreaded "device not recognised" message, or the device shows in device manager as "unknown", and I can't view the files. I've tried all the usual tips such as plugging into different ports and different machines, restarting my laptop, uninstalling and reinstalling the device.

Is there anything else I can try ? I am ready to throw them in the bin, so I am open to anything including reformatting and losing existing files or taking them apart with a screwdriver.

For what its worth, the drives are:
Samsung portable 1TB
Samsung D3 Station 3TB
Touro mobile 1TB
Seagate Expansion 2TB (I've also got a working on of these)

plodr

Liz
Are the portable drives connected by a single USB port or a Y-USB port cable?
For connection to a laptop, it might be worth it to get a Y-cable and see if it is then recognized.
Y-connector.jpg

Have a read through this
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/what-to-do-when-your-external-hard-drive-wont-show-up
there might be something there you haven't tried.

I have 8 external hard drives, all Western Digital. The oldest is huge and only holds 80GB. The other seven are portable and are 500 GB, 1TB and 2TB in size. So far, I haven't had any problems except with 1 drive. (Some of the images stored on it couldn't be read but other were fine. I suspect this 2TB drive has 2 platters and one of the two platters has a problem).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online