1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupted External HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ljm9244, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ljm9244

ljm9244 Thread Starter

When I try to open my ext. usb 2.0/firewire HDD I get an error message..... the file or directory is dammaged and unreadable. Is there anything I can do to retreive my files? Help somebody please!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Have you tried both firewire connection and usb connection?

Also, you might try taking the drive out of the case and slaving it to the current hard drive.

3. ljm9244

ljm9244 Thread Starter

Yes, I tried both connections and slaved it to my desktop computer.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, if you've put it in a desktop computer as a secondary drive and can't read it, something has obviously been corrupted or damaged. Have you run the disk manufacturer's diagnostic against the drive?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice