1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupted registry and OEM software

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NTG, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NTG

NTG Thread Starter

I have a rather old computer that has recently stopped booting properly. It starts as normal until it gets past the XP loading screen when it comes up with a blue screen with "STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}" and other stuff detailing a problem with some key file. The problem and solution are easy enough to find online, but there's one small problem. The solutions I've encountered all say near the start that they shouldn't be used on an OEM copy of XP, and the manual that came with my copy of XP says it's OEM software on it. None of the solutions I've encountered tell me what I should do instead if it's OEM software, just that I shouldn't follow their solutions if it is.

As my PC's self-made, I just have the install CD for XP(Home Edition, Version 2002 including service pack 2), no recovery disk. I also don't have a spare computer with SATA connections I would need to edit the drive from a separate computer. Does anyone know if there's any solution that's safe to perform for my XP instillation? Let me know if there's any other information that might be useful.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Have you tried F8 on startup?

Is it that you want to try and recover the data of the Hard drive? It maybe the Hard drive that is faulty..how old is the hard drive?

You can buy a Enclosure (caddy) either IDE or Sata that will hook to another PC vis USB

3. NTG

NTG Thread Starter

Sadly none of the safe modes or last known good configuration works. They all end up at the same screen.

The hard drive's pretty old and I guess it may have picked up some damage, but given it manages to load XP's start up screen I don't think it's a total hard drive failure.

An external caddy would probably work, but I'm getting the bits for a new computer soon anyway. I simply wanted to see if there's an easy way to get my old one running again so I can sort out the stuff on it's hard drive before I put it in a new computer and sort through it using that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice