Corrupted SD card with video files

mrGodspeed

Hey everyone, I'm new here so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong- I was shooting some video footage on my canon 80D last night and waited until morning to transfer the files to my phone where I was hoping to edit them (which has never been a problem before). I tried doing on my girlfriends Mac and I could see the files on the SD card but didn't have time to make my phone (android) accessible to that computer before work, no trouble, I'll do it there- or so I thought. I put the SD card in my pocket (bad storage method, I know, that might be the cause of the situation) and drive to work but when I get there I find out that the corporation I work for has put up some sort of firewall that doesn't allow any external devices to connect to it or even for the user to access and files on the computer. This was frustrating but not the end of the world. when I got home I found that my SD card has been corrupted! do you think it might have been the firewall from work disabling the external hard drive like a virus in the immune system? is that crazy, I honestly don't know what I'm talking about here. anyway- I try it on a few different devices and it cant be read by any of them and only recognized by a few. then I try using my windows command prompt and entering chkdsk g: /f but the only response I get is "the type of the File System is FAT32" and I don't understand code well enough to play that game of chess. then I try formatting the card so that I might be able to recover the information from a newly-formatted card but it seems like the SD card reader may be ejecting itself every time I press "format card". I may be wrong about what exactly is happening there, but regardless, the computer does not seem enthusiastic about formatting this card. is there anything else I should try? any feedback would be helpful. I'm in a ream tight spot here- let me know of any ideas, thanks all!

Oddba11

Jim
No. The "firewall" very likely simply prevents external devices being connected to work hardware. The corruption was very likely static.

Having said, formatting erases all of the data. So formatting and then trying to see the data is NOT going to work. The fact that the card isn't recognized by all devices and cannot be formatted would lead me to believe that it's faulty, not just corrupted.

You can try using data recovery software on the card. I've had good luck with EaseUS Data Recovery (not free) or Test Disk is often recommended (free).

Aside from that, I'd say the card is toast. Time to replace it and move on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online