1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupted user profile! Help!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Fractalogic, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fractalogic

Fractalogic Thread Starter

Hello!

I have come to the conclusion that I have a corrupted user profile. The user profile is not the same thing as a user account. So is it possible to create a new user profile that I can associate with my existing user account, instead of creating a whole new user account and moving files around?

Please help!

2. Fractalogic

Fractalogic Thread Starter

Problem solved!

I did use a software called ReProfiler which allows the user to manipulate user profiles in Winwows directly, without having to create a new user account. Because let's face it: having to create a whole new user account for the sole purpose of getting a new user profile belongs in the era of Windows 98! This old school procedure doesn't belong in a modern operating system like Vista or 7!

There is actually a way of removing a user profile in Windows Vista, without removing a user account. It can be found by going to...

1. Start
    2. Control Panel
    3. System and Maintenance
    4. System
    5. Advanced system settings. This brings up System Properties.
    6. On this dialog you click Settings where it says "profiles". A new dialog shows up and allows you to delete selected user profiles. But there is no option to create a new one. Why not Microsoft?...

It's frustrating not to be able to do this right in the system, and to have to depend on third party applications like ReProfiler.

So I used ReProfiler to re-assign my user account to my user profile. I did this and restarted the computer. But it didn't seem to have any effect on the issue I had with files on Desktop. But after deleting a couple of files from Desktop it all started to work normally. I remember deleting one particular program shortcut that gave me error message if I went to Properties, Security tab. This shortcut was a leftover after uninstalling the program itself. So after deleting this thingy I was able to open any file on Desktop, even picture files. So I'm not sure if it was ReProfiler or a combination of things that sorted this out, but I'm glad it works again.

Lessons learned: Don't ever restore the files ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log and ntuser.ini when restoring files to any of the Users folders from a backup file. This will surely mess things up. Also, don't restore security settings for files and folders of those files and folder you are restoring. Instead, let them inherit the proper security settings from their parents. I think this is how I introduced this problem in first place.

P.s. The original problem was that I was unable to open picture files right from the Desktop. For some reason it just didn't work. Even though I took ownership of the Desktop folder and I had proper permissions for all the files. If I moved them to Pictures folder I could open them, and if I move them back to Desktop I could not open them. Although all other files could open from Desktop like EXE, TXT, DOC, PDF, etc. but not JPG, PNG, BMP (picture) files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice