1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupted user profile?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Barnsey, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barnsey

Barnsey Thread Starter

I have a problem that arised from a problem which arised from a problem which arised from a problem. *takes breath* I'll try to break my post down into sections to make it understandable.

I emailed this to a friend on October 5th. I'll copy and paste it here:

*Oct 5*

It started out as a hardware problem, where my screen was completely stuffed. By that i mean the screen was a bit warped, and the colours were inverted in certain blotches of the screen (i.e. blue was green, green was red (something like that. it's stuffed). It's due to magnetic or something. Perhaps a powersurge in the powerpoint or something like that. Whatever, it's still under warranty, i'll take it back or something.

The real problem started when i plugged my older, smaller yet working monitor into my computer and turned it on. It didn't work. The screen turned itself off when it loaded windows (yet the computer was still running).

So i thought, "oh yeah. no worries, i'll attach my other monitor again to change the resolution to 600x800, then i'll be able to use my new screen (that in fact worked, i'm using my older monitor right now). Only, a new problem arised. This time windows related.

When i loaded my user profile (Nick), it took much longer than usual. (you know how when you turn the comp on, you get a welcome screen and you click on a name?) when i clicked it it said "loading settings" or whatever it says, and it took like 60 or so seconds until a thing popped up (now, i didnt really read it properly because i was in a rush. all i wanted to do was change the resolution and get the new old monitor running) but it basically told me it couldn't load my profile and it will create a temporary profile instead. and that any settings i change wont be saved when i log off. So i thought, "no big deal. whatever."

But it happens every time now. Every time i click on my name it goes for the temporary profile instead. which is really, really annoying. because it thinks ive loaded up the computer for the first time - every time.

this means: my prefered desktop icons are gone. my quick launch menu is gone (which had things i use every day like msn, icq firefox, show desktop, blah blah. now i have to go to my computer etc.). i get the 'take the windows xp tour box every time. to get to my documents i have to go through the my computer way. all my bookmarked websites are gone. i have to google the site because i can't remember the urls. my user name and passwords are not saved. i have to type in my email to msn and myspace again every time i want to use it. etc. and much more other settings that i got used to that are gone. i mean these sound like little deals, but when you have to do it EVERY TIME you load the computer, it's ****ing annoying, and i can't keep doing it.

So, any ideas how to get my corrupted user profile back on its feet?

*Oct 16*

Ok so after a while of just putting up with this corrupted user profile (i THINK that was the problem. not sure though), today i got home from work and turned the computer on and things were different.

There was no more 60 second loading times to load my profile. It loaded almost instantly. The desktop was just a blue colour instead of a picture. The bar thingy at the top with the "x" and "_" buttons (not sure what its called exactly) were smaller. But the most noticable difference was that all my icons (in that section next to the time in the bottom right) were gone except like 2. There were roughly 7 before.

So i figure my user profile has reset? As when i reboot, settings save from when it was last on (url's to be exact)

Now, this wouldn't be a problem, except that for some reason some things dont load anymore!

This includes MSN (both the new version and the windows default version) which is probably my most used program. so its a big problem. It also includes ZoneAlarm. There are probably more.

However, Mozilla works for whatever reason.

So why my computer changed like this was beyond me, as i didn't touch it since last time i used it. So i figured mum had used it while i was out. And after i asked her, turns out she has.

Now, after much quizing, i'm pretty sure what happened was that when she went to click on 'Nick' (my user profile), and had to wait too long, she got impatient and restarted the computer. She tried to claim that the mouse just wasn't working, but i'm pretty sure it was working, but she didn't realise it was loading.

Anyway, so my only diagnosis that i can think of is that restarting while loading the profile has corrupted the files that are used when you start up (msn, zonealarm).

So, any other ideas of what my problem is, and how to fix it? (And if i didn't explain clearly or give enough information, just say so and i'll rephrase/add)

EDIT: Also, these screens might help:

- When i click on start menu, a bunch of icons are missing?? Normally it's choc-full of icons. Also note the bottom right

-This is the error i get when i try to load ZoneAlarm. (When i try to load MSN, just nothing happens. Meaning i double click and the mouse timer comes up for 1 second but it never shows up.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

3. Barnsey

Barnsey Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, but it didn't work.

This is the error i get after trying to copy my settings over to a new account:

[​IMG]

I've also tried System Restore, and it didn't make a difference.

4. FrostRules07

FrostRules07

Hey, My Myspace profile got hacked! How can I fix it, or unhack it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/509948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice