1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupted word doc-~WRD0000.tmp

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Geeba, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geeba

Geeba Thread Starter

Hi to any who take the time,

A word document of about 40 pages, incl pictures, refuses to open, it shows an illegal operation dialog box after trying to open.
    When the word program is closed there is a second icon relating to the file alongside it. It appears like a hidden file and is called ~WRD0000.tmp and has what looks like an internet explorer icon.
    I have scanned with up to date AVG anti virus but it does not detect anything. Word when closed after trying to open this file comes up with corupted file info. The file is unfortunately to big to cut and paste if one is lucky enough to get into it.
    Word works fine on other files.
    Cheers big ears
    Win98
    Double clicking the temp file comes the standard warning about opening malicious files?
    Hmmm!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Word always creates a temporary file as you describe when you open a document.

They can get "left behind" if Word crashes, Word usually deletes them on exit.

It doesnt help with the corrupt document unfortunately.

Using graphics in Word can result in mammoth sized files, and its likely this is a factor in the corruption. You need to split such a large document into manageable sized parts.

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Geeba:

1. It doesn't have a program assigned to it. Rename the extension to DOC, and see if opening the file directly through Word's File-Open menu is helpful. If not, try File-Open, change the files of type to "Recover text from any file" and try opening it. You'll likely at least get most or all of your text. I hate to contradict kiwiguy, but it most certainly can be your corrupt document.

2. Sometimes, opening corrupt files in new versions of Word is helpful. You've told us Win98, but nothing about your version of Word. If it's 97 or 2000, and you don't have access to Word XP (2002), you can email the file to me (zip it first), and I'll attempt it: [email protected].

3. I'm guessing that if you've got Win98, you've probably had your PC for a while--or at least someone has. Once you get this file issue settled, I strongly encourage a disk cleanup. See the instructions at www.theofficeexperts.com/cleanyourpc.htm, which is particularly helpful in Win98.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice