1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corrupted XP repair & double XP install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by liguhy, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liguhy

liguhy Thread Starter

Thanks, beforehand, for everyone who helps and makes this site possible.

Situation: I was TRYING to install windows media center on some space I partitioned off from my main operating hard drive. I aborted before anything was done several times because it seemed it didn't see any other primary partitions and was trying to just reinstall XP. On my operating HD I configured two partitions to be primary (my main XP Pro installation and the new 2 GB partition for Windows Media Center) and two logical partitions.

After I setup the primary partition I re-entered WMC setup and selected my operating hard drive thinking it would then show me the available partitions (has it has done before when I've done dual boots). It analayzed my hard drive and said it was "fixing some things" (or something to that effect). I guess it was already past setup mode and was installing WMC somewhere I didn't want. Anyway, I aborted the install and tried to reboot but now got stuck in Windows XP setup where it's done "collecting information," dynamic update," "preparing installation," and started with the installing Windows.

I have no idea why it's now installing XP off a Windows Media Center disc, but it could be possible I was given an image labled wrongly as WMC, but I don't think so. Anyway, I think I corrupted the install process so it can't continue with either the WMC or what I know to be my WinXP install disk.

Seeing no evidence of WMC, I tried to repair my WinXP Pro installation. What ended up happening is it just installed WinXP Pro over everything in a "windows.0" folder. I can now dual boot between "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" and "Windows (default)" Even if there isn't a CD in the drive I get the "Boot from CD/DVD" option during bootup.

I do not want the new WinXP installation. Before I tried to repair XP and ended up installing a double XP, I did all the boot.ini edits, but I only saw the standard boot.ini listed with no multiple entries in all the helpfiles. After the doubleXP install, I didn't get any OS choice during bootup. I edited the boot.ini by deleting the ".0" after windows and since then have been able to pick which OS I wanted. This is the boot.ini at the moment:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)/Windows
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)/Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    I'd delete the new XP installation, but whenever I try to load my original XP, it goes to the "setup is restarting....." screen, flashes the WinXP logo like it does during normal bootup, and then goes to the "installing windows" portion of WinXP Pro installation. I try to continue with both the WMC and the WinXP Pro cds but I get this fatal error message:
    Fatal Error
    An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.

Setuup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Press OK to view the Setup log file.
    The log file says this:
    Fatal Error:
    One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

The operation was canceled by the user.

xxx

x4

xxx

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Professional Upgrade is invalid. The error code is 800b00100.

No signature was present in the subject.

xxx

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to in stall the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files chould contain more information.

xxx

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Professional Upgrade is invalid. The error code is 800b0100.

No signature was presetn in the subject.

xxx

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more ifnormation.

xxx
    Where the "x4" is that same first message four more times, exactly as it appears.

I don't know how to abort the setup on my old XP installation. I've setup dual boots/reinstalled OS many times, so once I get this corrupted installation figured out, I think I'll be ok. I do have a Knoppix CD available for use if needed.

2. liguhy

liguhy Thread Starter

no one?

3. liguhy

liguhy Thread Starter

I have no clue what to do. I may just format my hard drive and mark it up to my own stupidity. Nobody has any idea?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/907515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice