Corrupted XP Word and Excel files that were recovered after deleting a partition

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BenFauzi

Recently I was trying to upgrade my computer from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Professional. In the process of doing this I accidentally deleted my partition. I tried to recover my files through a recovery program and I did. Unfortunately though some of my word and excel files were recovered as unknown and these files were corrupted. An example of what the text looks like is: ÐÏ à¡± á > þÿ þÿÿÿ þÿÿÿ Ì Î Í Ï Ð Ñ Ò ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ. The word files that I know are only a couple of pages each have this weird text on thousands of pages each. Is there any way to get my files back as they were before? Is there another recovery program I could use to recover all of my files so that they are in their original working condition?

It would be fairly likely that if you deleted the partition and installed a new operating system, that the physical location for many files on the disk would have been overwritten. If that is the case, there isn't going to be anything to recover for those files. It's more than they were just erased, which is what recovery programs are used for. The actual data in the location has changed.

BenFauzi

Bob Cerelli said:
It would be fairly likely that if you deleted the partition and installed a new operating system, that the physical location for many files on the disk would have been overwritten. If that is the case, there isn't going to be anything to recover for those files. It's more than they were just erased, which is what recovery programs are used for. The actual data in the location has changed.
I didn't format the hard drive yet. I connected the hard drive to another computer and recovered the files from there. My hard drive still needs to be formatted. What should I do?

What you have recovered is probably all that you are going to get, for the reasons above already explained.

A professional data recovery firm may be able to use stronger techniques, but expect to pay several thousand $ for the attempt.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online