1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corruption in boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ricksta, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ricksta

Ricksta Thread Starter

The main problem I have is that when my company boots up, it shows a message signalling me to replace the hard disk, as it is “bad”. This happens every time, and it happened back in October, to which I had fixed by my computer technician. However, there is actually nothing wrong with the hard disk. I have cleaned out all of the viruses I had previously and I remember the technician telling me that the viruses had damaged the boot record, along with the other, hidden stuff. I am not sure what he did, but I think he cleaned out everything (and I mean every single thing), not just reformatting, like rebuilding the partition tables or something. I have no idea. So I was wondering if anyone here could teach me how to redo everything, much like the technician.

Please keep in mind that I am running Windows 2000 Professional and have used the recovery console (I have tried the “fixboot” and “fixmbr” commands several times already).

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

What is the exact error message?

Generally a HD cant be "fixed".

When they go bad, you throw them away and buy a new one.

My suggestion would be to back up everything on the drive you need, go to your drive manufacturers website, download and run their diagnostic software and go from there.

If its S.M.A.R.T. telling you the drive is bad, believe it..I have had smart warn me twice and twice it was right.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Yep......ouch........ditto........pretty SMART :(

4. Ricksta

Ricksta Thread Starter

Yes. You are absolutely right... it definitely is one of those S.M.A.R.T. messages telling me the hard disk is bad and that it needs replacing. But I was wondering though. How the heck did my computer technician fix everything the last time? It is the exact same issue.

5. pronute

pronute

he problebly did a full scandisk an realcaded the bad sectors, this is ok but it's temporary , if S.M.A.R.T. IS REPORTING A BAD DRIVE it's because you ether bumped into the bad sectors or more damage has happend, I generally recover a drive this way only to give me enough time to clone it to a new drive

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You might check the manufacturer's website. I just had a 2 year old Maxtor 30 gig drive replaced for free.....they sent me a 40 gig replacement :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice