1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corsair Memory Problem on A7N8X...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ArcArsenal, Jun 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ArcArsenal

ArcArsenal Thread Starter

I have the A7N8X Deluxe, with the amd 2800+ barton, and i bought 2 pc3200 corsair 512 sticks. When i have them in my computer will work, then randomly shut off. When i try my old pc2100 256 chip, my computer does not restart. I tested my power supply also. I have heard Corsair works great with my motherboard...is it possible i have 2 bad chips? Or maybe my certain motherboard is bad with the corsair. Please help

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could try them one at a time - 2 bad chips are rare unless they got zapped by static charges.

With the old stick the only problem was that it would not restart but everything else was OK?

3. ArcArsenal

yeah i tried one at a time and I got weird errors and resets, with both in the computer seems to run fine, until...BAM..reset. My old ram works perfectly, everything runs, only with 256 instead of the gig I wanted.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Hmm.

There is a bios update that deals with this mainboard not shutting down correctly: http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X Deluxe
    Also some Ram compatiblity but not for Corsair.

However I would not flash with the Corsair Ram.

I don't known if its compatiblity or bios settings or what. You could try clearing the CMOS and loading bios defaults.

Maybe someone else will known whats up?

5. slipe

slipe

There was a problem initially with the Corsair PC3200 XMS memory and all of the Nforce2 boards. Both Corsair and the board makers fixed it. Corsair rewrote their code and the board makers fixed the problem with a BIOS update.

If you got the board and RAM recently from a high volume distributor there shouldn’t be a problem as you should have the latest BIOS and the memory should be fixed. It would be a good idea to update to the latest BIOS and also get the latest chipset driver from nVida.

When I built my system there wasn’t a fix yet and I couldn’t go with the Corsair. Excellent RAM now that it is sorted out.

6. ArcArsenal

I must have recieved a faulty part, i updated every driver i could think of on my computer and the bios, now windows will work for awhile, then give me the blue screen of death saying irql not less or equal. I think it must be the memory. Please let me know any information.

7. max 8

max 8

What bios are you using? Flashing to the latest bios should fix your problem.

8. slipe

slipe

If you took the two Corsair sticks out and tried your old (I presume you know it is good) 256Mb stick in the single memory slot it sounds bad for the MB. You might try your Corsair one at a time in the single memory slot. I guess you know the two sticks go in the side by side slots that are close together and a single stick goes in the other.

You say you have the latest BIOS – do you have the latest nForce2 driver from NVIDA? It is a strange numbering system they have. I think the latest is 203 but there are revision numbers higher than that which were problems and aren’t the latest.

9. active95

active95

Quick question. In BIOS do you have the DDR RAM set up to be recognized by SPD ? If you do , try a manual and input higher values. For instance 6-3-3-3 with a 3 CAS. And bump the DDR voltage to 2.7 V

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/141565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice