1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2 and Gigabyte KNS Ultra 939(problems)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skullman80, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skullman80

skullman80 Thread Starter

As per my title I have the gigabye kns ultra 939 mother board, and I recently upgraded the ram to the Corsair specified in my post.

The PC runs fine for the most part, but anytime I do anything ram intensive(PC gaming, DVD burning etc) The PC will sometimes restart.

I have not run memtest yet, that is my next step. I'm wondering if anyone here can take a look at my bios settings and let me know if anything needs changed there that could be possibly causing the problem.

I also have the RAM in mem banks 1 and 2, should I maybe go 1 and 3 or 2 and 4?

Here are my BIos settings for the Ram with how they are currently set.

HT Frequency Ration 5x
    CPU Clock 200mhz
    Hammer Fid Control Auto
    DDR Clock/Time Mode - Manual
    CPU/DDR Clock Ratio 2/2
    DDR Timing Manual
    Cas Latency(TCL) 2
    MM Ras# Active Time(Tras) Auto
    Ras To Cas Delay 3T
    Row Precharge Tme 3t(TRP)
    Row To Row Delay Auto(TRRD)
    Row Cycle Time(Trc) 11T
    Row Refresh Recycle Time(TRFC) 13T
    Read to write time (TRWT)4t
    Write Recovery Time(TWRT) 4t
    Write Recovery Time(TWR) 3 Bus Clock
    Write to Recovery Time(TWTR) 2 Bus Clock
    Refresh Rate(TREF) 200Mhz 7.8 US
    Read Preamble Value 5.5ns
    Async Latency Value 7ns
    AGP Clock 66
    CPU Voltage Control Auto
    Normal CPU Core 1.400V
    AGP Volt Control Normal
    HTL link Voltage Control Normal
    DDR Voltage control Normal

Thanks!
    Alan

2. digger747

digger747

I would check the voltage on your memory.Corsair memory sometimes has to have the voltage at 2.8.By default the bios probably has it set lower.I know it is warranted at that voltage.You can also go the the corsair forum and get help from the ram guy.I would check my voltages and raise it a little and see if that helps.Run memtest86+ also.By default most motherboards set memory voltages lower.I would check motherboard manual and make sure you have it in the correct slots to run dual channel.I would also find out what the memory timimgs are for that memory and set them all manually.

3. digger747

digger747

4. skullman80

I checked my mobo and it is ok to run in either slots 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 for the dual channel, so I don't think that is the problem.

The manual settings on the ram per Corsair specs are 2-3-3-6. Where would I go to change those in the bios settings I listed?

The mobo before was running a generic 512 mb ram piece, this was just simply an upgrade that I have been meaning to do for a while.

Also as far as the voltage goes, would that be under the DDR voltage control that is set to normal in my original post?

I did post at Corsair, and have gotten some responses just trying to get some other input. I don't think Ram guy at Corsair will be back until Monday.

I will run Memtest ASAP and see what comes up.

Thanks
    Alan

5. digger747

digger747

That link i posted has some good info on setting ram timings and other bios settings.

6. skullman80

I went ahead and moved up the DDR voltage to +.02 volts in the bios, since the mem sticks are tested by corsair at 2.7 volts and my mobo defaults to 2.5 volts.

I will see how it runs today...

7. digger747

digger747

sounds like a good place to start,good luck

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just to make sure you upped the voltage by .2V not .02V correct? The corsair memory likes 2.7 to 2.8V. This will cause a problem when the mb defaults to 2.5V. Set the voltage to 2.7V and run either memtest or preferably prime95 which will test both the cpu and memory. If it runs p95 error free for 2 hrs, you should be fine.

9. skullman80

Yeah, .2V my mistake.

I had an option of .1 or .2, so I did .2 to take it to 2.7 volts.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you done any tests yet?

11. skullman80

Running Prime95 now...so far so good, about 45 mins in.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have run into this same problem with [I think] geil memory. It likes around 2.8V and the board defaults to 2.5. It was brought to me after the person building it had tried two different memory kits; both with errors in memtest. He was ready to rma the board to asus. After setting the mem voltage, it ran memtest overnight without errors.

The owner was amazed.

13. skullman80

Yeah I have had no problems at all so far after changing the voltage. Everything seems to be running fine.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/445574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice