1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cortana is not working

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Boothbay, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Since my update of win 10 ( 1709 vers ), all seems to go well but the exceptions of Cortana search engine. It makes a faint attempt to listen to me, by asking me what I am looking for and not responding. I enter type in the search box, and nothing appears. To find some of the usual sites, I have to enter Win key + a letter.. I did go into settings and turned most, if not all buttons to "ON''. BTW, pretty new to Win 10, but could someone tell me how I can change color of the dark blue fonts that usually appear as high links. With the black background , I have to swipe the mouse across it and it shows up nicely with a light blue background...but its a pain that in order for me to read some of the stuff, I have to swipe over it and change the background light blue which it does automatically.

2. Sponsor

3. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Have you updated to the latest Windows 10 version? If not, I would recommend that first.

If that doesn't work then I would try the following next
    Click on Start menu
    Type Powershell
    Right click on Powershell and select to Run As Administator
    Copy and paste the following and hit Enter
    Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMo
    de -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

These will reinstall Cortana

Let me know if this works or not.

4. jenae

jenae

Hi, the cmd to reinstall Cortana (above) fixes most problems. There is one other common issue. We all remember ctfmon which always opened at start and we removed it without any issues, appears win 10 is different, it needs ctfmon. Press the win + r keys together, copy and paste the following in the run dialogue box:-

C:\Windows\System32\ctfmon.exe (press enter), you will not see a response, try Cortana now

5. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Well, I typed Powerball and nothing happens...the screen stays blank. I also added "Jenae's " suggestion in the run mode and I do not see any improvement. I am able to hear the voice of Cortana, ask a question and i always get a message that it could not respond at this time, try again later." At one time i get a message about my network connection. I am connected to the internet, so i do not know what that message means. Finally, I do not understand this 'locked' situation. I have in Settings to put everything "on" . Oh, BTW, Cortana asked for me to sign in...sign in where and with what name? I never had to do that with the previous version. This update as i mentioned in my OP, is "1709" Build 16299.98

6. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Did you run Powershell as Administrator? It should have worked you can try the same steps except use the following command at Powershell. This will reinstall all Win 10 Apps.

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Please let us know the exact message that it is giving you?

Again, we need more details about the lock situation you are referring to? The sign in is probably asking for you to sign into your Microsoft Account. Do you have one setup? Please see link below for more information

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-use-cortana-local-user-account-windows-10

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1201565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice