1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cortana not working

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by skeeter5000, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skeeter5000

skeeter5000 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 5887 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 453 GB (328 GB Free); D: 12 GB (1 GB Free); F: 931 GB (516 GB Free); J: 298 GB (124 GB Free);
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, 2AB1
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Cortana is not working on my computer. The mic image is showing in my task bar. It was/did work before. How do I fix?

2. Sponsor

3. Bernard20

Bernard20

Cortana is optimized for specific language and market pairings. She works best when your region and language settings are aligned and Cortana is available only in certain countries/regions, and some Cortana features might not be available everywhere. If your settings are correct but you still can't use Cortana, then install the latest updates of windows 10 and also check from the settings if Cortana feature is turned on or not.

4. skeeter5000

Thanks Bernard20, I did check and downloaded update. I think my settings are correct. When I check mic, it seems to be working, but the computer is not hearing. I don't know how to check this, I did check to see if I had the mic plugged into the proper receptacle. This is in the correct plugin spot.

I think I read some where that the upgrade/upload that MS sent us took out Cortana. I may not be thinking right on this.

Thanks again. (Another note, I always have trouble(s) no one else has)

5. Bernard20

Bernard20

• Take a look at your sound properties, by right clicking the speaker icon in system tray, and selecting Recording devices, and make sure the correct mic is chosen as default.
    • The Audio Troubleshooter can diagnose and fix common sound playback and hardware problems. Refer these steps:
    1. Right click on Start button, select Control Panel.
    2. Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    3. Click on Troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    4. Run the Recording Audio troubleshooter.​
    • If above two does not work then Update your Driver.
    Try the above steps and let me know if the problem is fixed or not.

6. skeeter5000

Hi Bernard20,

Tried your suggestions and troubleshooter can not fix. Checked with HP, say no new driver(s).

Thanks for trying.

7. jvic

jvic

First Name:
    John
    Same thing happened to mine. I just did a system restore to when it was working and have had no problems since

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1182117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice